Rotherhithe Tunnel offers alternative route during weekend work on Blackwall Tunnel
THE Rotherhithe Tunnel will have two lanes of southbound traffic during the next planned weekend closures of the southbound Blackwall Tunnel this month in a bid to reduce expected traffic congestion. Northbound drivers, who would usually use the Rotherh
THE Rotherhithe Tunnel will have two lanes of southbound traffic during the next planned weekend closures of the southbound Blackwall Tunnel this month in a bid to reduce expected traffic congestion.
Northbound drivers, who would usually use the Rotherhithe Tunnel, will still be able to use the Blackwall Tunnel during these weekend closures, as well as alternative river crossings such as Tower Bridge, Woolwich Ferry or the Dartford Crossing.
The next two weekend closures of the Blackwall Tunnel will run from 9pm on Friday (July 9) until 5am on Monday 12 July and the same times on Friday to Monday July 16 to 19.
There will be further closures on September 10 to 13 and October 1 to 4.
You may also want to watch:
Signs at key approach roads to both Blackwall Tunnel and Rotherhithe Tunnel will divert traffic to an appropriate river crossing.
The Woolwich Ferry will also run additional services across the weekend to help reduce congestion and provide an alternative river crossing.
- 1 Tideway super sewer arrives at Tower Bridge ready to bore east London
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Embleton 'frustrated' with late penalty which led to Bradford defeat
- 3 Leyton Orient boss Embleton not concerned about current formation
- 4 Why rogue East End landlords had to pay back £200,000 to renters
- 5 Leyton Orient slip down the table after late defeat to Bradford City
- 6 Shamima Begum will find out this week if she can return from Syria
- 7 East Ham man raped woman with his friend in Wapping park 23 years ago
- 8 Cigarette sparks fire in Poplar block of flats
- 9 Police raid cannabis cafe in 200-year-old Whitechapel building
- 10 Elderly in east London may be entitled Pension Credit, minister reveals
Transport for London says the making the Rotherhithe Tunnel operate two lanes southbound during the weekend closure of the Blackwall Tunnel, will increase the capacity of the diversion route by up to 600 vehicles an hour.
Work on the refurbishment will be completed by December 2012. For more information, visit www.tfl.gov.uk/blackwalltunnelrefurbishment.