Rotherhithe Tunnel offers alternative route during weekend work on Blackwall Tunnel
THE Rotherhithe Tunnel will have two lanes of southbound traffic during the next planned weekend closures of the southbound Blackwall Tunnel this month in a bid to reduce expected traffic congestion. Northbound drivers, who would usually use the Rotherh
THE Rotherhithe Tunnel will have two lanes of southbound traffic during the next planned weekend closures of the southbound Blackwall Tunnel this month in a bid to reduce expected traffic congestion.
Northbound drivers, who would usually use the Rotherhithe Tunnel, will still be able to use the Blackwall Tunnel during these weekend closures, as well as alternative river crossings such as Tower Bridge, Woolwich Ferry or the Dartford Crossing.
The next two weekend closures of the Blackwall Tunnel will run from 9pm on Friday (July 9) until 5am on Monday 12 July and the same times on Friday to Monday July 16 to 19.
There will be further closures on September 10 to 13 and October 1 to 4.
You may also want to watch:
Signs at key approach roads to both Blackwall Tunnel and Rotherhithe Tunnel will divert traffic to an appropriate river crossing.
The Woolwich Ferry will also run additional services across the weekend to help reduce congestion and provide an alternative river crossing.
- 1 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 2 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 5 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 6 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 7 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 8 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
Transport for London says the making the Rotherhithe Tunnel operate two lanes southbound during the weekend closure of the Blackwall Tunnel, will increase the capacity of the diversion route by up to 600 vehicles an hour.
Work on the refurbishment will be completed by December 2012. For more information, visit www.tfl.gov.uk/blackwalltunnelrefurbishment.