Rotherhithe Tunnel offers alternative route during weekend work on Blackwall Tunnel
THE Rotherhithe Tunnel will have two lanes of southbound traffic during the next planned weekend closures of the southbound Blackwall Tunnel this month in a bid to reduce expected traffic congestion. Northbound drivers, who would usually use the Rotherh
THE Rotherhithe Tunnel will have two lanes of southbound traffic during the next planned weekend closures of the southbound Blackwall Tunnel this month in a bid to reduce expected traffic congestion.
Northbound drivers, who would usually use the Rotherhithe Tunnel, will still be able to use the Blackwall Tunnel during these weekend closures, as well as alternative river crossings such as Tower Bridge, Woolwich Ferry or the Dartford Crossing.
The next two weekend closures of the Blackwall Tunnel will run from 9pm on Friday (July 9) until 5am on Monday 12 July and the same times on Friday to Monday July 16 to 19.
There will be further closures on September 10 to 13 and October 1 to 4.
Signs at key approach roads to both Blackwall Tunnel and Rotherhithe Tunnel will divert traffic to an appropriate river crossing.
The Woolwich Ferry will also run additional services across the weekend to help reduce congestion and provide an alternative river crossing.
- 1 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 2 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 3 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 4 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 5 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 6 Police looking for missing man last seen leaving hospital
- 7 Covid: Weekly admissions halve as patient counts drop to July 2021 levels
- 8 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 9 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 10 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London
Transport for London says the making the Rotherhithe Tunnel operate two lanes southbound during the weekend closure of the Blackwall Tunnel, will increase the capacity of the diversion route by up to 600 vehicles an hour.
Work on the refurbishment will be completed by December 2012. For more information, visit www.tfl.gov.uk/blackwalltunnelrefurbishment.