Rotherhithe tunnel to close all next week for urgent repairs
- Credit: Transport for London
The Rotherhithe tunnel will be closed for five days next week so that Transport for London can carry out "critical repairs" to its fire safety system.
The tunnel, which links Tower Hamlets with south of the river, will be closed to all traffic, including cyclists and pedestrians, from 10am, Monday (January 11) and 5am, Saturday (January 16).
Repairs to its fire water main are needed to ensure it works correctly in the event of a fire, requiring a full week-long closure.
Glynn Barton, TfL’s director of Network Management, said: “Safety is our top priority, and this urgent five-day closure of the Rotherhithe Tunnel is essential to ensure the tunnel remains safe for people to use.
"I’d like to ask people in the area who need to travel to plan ahead for their journeys and continue to follow the vital safety restrictions which remain in place at the tunnel.”
You may also want to watch:
Alternative routes will be in place via the Blackwall Tunnel and Tower Bridge.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 6 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom