Rotherhithe tunnel to close all next week for urgent repairs
- Credit: Transport for London
The Rotherhithe tunnel will be closed for five days next week so that Transport for London can carry out "critical repairs" to its fire safety system.
The tunnel, which links Tower Hamlets with south of the river, will be closed to all traffic, including cyclists and pedestrians, from 10am, Monday (January 11) and 5am, Saturday (January 16).
Repairs to its fire water main are needed to ensure it works correctly in the event of a fire, requiring a full week-long closure.
Glynn Barton, TfL’s director of Network Management, said: “Safety is our top priority, and this urgent five-day closure of the Rotherhithe Tunnel is essential to ensure the tunnel remains safe for people to use.
"I’d like to ask people in the area who need to travel to plan ahead for their journeys and continue to follow the vital safety restrictions which remain in place at the tunnel.”
You may also want to watch:
Alternative routes will be in place via the Blackwall Tunnel and Tower Bridge.
- 1 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 2 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 3 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 6 Pedestrian struck by motorcycle in critical condition following Stepney collision
- 7 Trains being tested on Crossrail's Elizabeth line up to four an hour
- 8 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 9 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 10 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry