Royal welcome for the Queen as she visits new KPMG building in Canary Wharf
THE Queen had a Royal welcome as she opened the new KPMG building in Canary Wharf as thousands of employees cheered her arrival.
The Queen - wearing a mauve coat with a silver brooch and hat with flowers - had a tour around the building with its UK chairman John Griffith-Jones.
She met members of the Royal Household Client Services team who audit royal accounts, financial services people, graduates and the corporate social responsibility team.
After the tour, she unveiled a plaque in front of thousands of employees and was presented with flowers by Hackney City Academy pupil Safak Gunes who did a long bow.
John Griffith Jones said: “She genuinely seemed interested in what we do, especially our charity work and the building’s green credentials. She made a funny comment about Crossrail being delayed and also asked about our role during the crisis.”
You may also want to watch:
Senior partner Eddie Donaldson said the firm was in a “unique position” independently auditing the royal accounts which use public and private money. “The team already see it as a privilege to work on the accounts in the first place and then to meet the Queen was a very special moment in their careers.”
The Queen also met Jade Jones, a Taekwondo champion and Olympic hopeful who KPMG sponsor, and the chair of council of Barnado’s, KPMG’s charity for 2010/11.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 5 Building new tower block starts on Limehouse Triangle 'wildlife site'
- 6 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 7 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
The last time the Queen was in Canary Wharf was in 2005 when she opened the Reuters building.