Royal welcome for the Queen as she visits new KPMG building in Canary Wharf
THE Queen had a Royal welcome as she opened the new KPMG building in Canary Wharf as thousands of employees cheered her arrival.
The Queen - wearing a mauve coat with a silver brooch and hat with flowers - had a tour around the building with its UK chairman John Griffith-Jones.
She met members of the Royal Household Client Services team who audit royal accounts, financial services people, graduates and the corporate social responsibility team.
After the tour, she unveiled a plaque in front of thousands of employees and was presented with flowers by Hackney City Academy pupil Safak Gunes who did a long bow.
John Griffith Jones said: “She genuinely seemed interested in what we do, especially our charity work and the building’s green credentials. She made a funny comment about Crossrail being delayed and also asked about our role during the crisis.”
You may also want to watch:
Senior partner Eddie Donaldson said the firm was in a “unique position” independently auditing the royal accounts which use public and private money. “The team already see it as a privilege to work on the accounts in the first place and then to meet the Queen was a very special moment in their careers.”
The Queen also met Jade Jones, a Taekwondo champion and Olympic hopeful who KPMG sponsor, and the chair of council of Barnado’s, KPMG’s charity for 2010/11.
- 1 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 2 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 3 Docklands man pleaded guilty to firearms offences
- 4 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 5 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 6 Working classes 'being pushed out by East End's gentrification'
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 10 Police search park in Poplar after report of stabbing
The last time the Queen was in Canary Wharf was in 2005 when she opened the Reuters building.