Royal welcome for the Queen as she visits new KPMG building in Canary Wharf
THE Queen had a Royal welcome as she opened the new KPMG building in Canary Wharf as thousands of employees cheered her arrival.
The Queen - wearing a mauve coat with a silver brooch and hat with flowers - had a tour around the building with its UK chairman John Griffith-Jones.
She met members of the Royal Household Client Services team who audit royal accounts, financial services people, graduates and the corporate social responsibility team.
After the tour, she unveiled a plaque in front of thousands of employees and was presented with flowers by Hackney City Academy pupil Safak Gunes who did a long bow.
John Griffith Jones said: “She genuinely seemed interested in what we do, especially our charity work and the building’s green credentials. She made a funny comment about Crossrail being delayed and also asked about our role during the crisis.”
You may also want to watch:
Senior partner Eddie Donaldson said the firm was in a “unique position” independently auditing the royal accounts which use public and private money. “The team already see it as a privilege to work on the accounts in the first place and then to meet the Queen was a very special moment in their careers.”
The Queen also met Jade Jones, a Taekwondo champion and Olympic hopeful who KPMG sponsor, and the chair of council of Barnado’s, KPMG’s charity for 2010/11.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 10 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
The last time the Queen was in Canary Wharf was in 2005 when she opened the Reuters building.