Run Tube later on Friday and Saturday, London Assembly urges
THE London Underground should run later on Friday and Saturday nights, the London Assembly has urged. Boris Johnson is being asked to extend hours, beginning with the Jubilee Line which has been choked by weekend closures
THE London Underground should run later on Friday and Saturday nights, the London Assembly has urged.
Boris Johnson is being asked to extend hours, beginning with the Jubilee Line which has been choked by weekend closures for the past 18 months.
The call came during the Mayor’s Question Time at City hall yesterday by the Assembly’s Lib Dem transport spokesman Caroline Pidgeon.
“If there is one line that deserves to benefit from longer hours it must be the Jubilee,” she said afterwards.
“Everyone who uses the Jubilee has already faced months of inconvenience because of the continuing weekend closures.
You may also want to watch:
“Many traders who rely on weekend and evening business have been hit for six.”
Shops and stores at London’s Canary Wharf have been badly hit by the Jubilee’s closures which have left the Isle of Dogs business district isolated from the City and West End.
Caroline Pidgeon reminded Boris of his election pledge to extend the opening hours of the whole Tube network.
- 1 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 2 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 3 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City
- 5 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 6 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 7 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 8 Thames Path voted UK's No one for walking — even if blocked in places
- 9 Bidding for Harry Kane's signed jersey open in Wapping Youth FC auction
- 10 ‘Humanitarian disaster’ food shortage for East End families in poverty
“It is now time the Mayor honoured his pledge,” she added. “He should start with the Jubilee Line, where the upgrade works be completed this year.”
Boris has said publicly he wants to extend Tube hours and is considering her proposal for the Jubilee Line.