Run Tube later on Friday and Saturday, London Assembly urges
THE London Underground should run later on Friday and Saturday nights, the London Assembly has urged. Boris Johnson is being asked to extend hours, beginning with the Jubilee Line which has been choked by weekend closures
THE London Underground should run later on Friday and Saturday nights, the London Assembly has urged.
Boris Johnson is being asked to extend hours, beginning with the Jubilee Line which has been choked by weekend closures for the past 18 months.
The call came during the Mayor’s Question Time at City hall yesterday by the Assembly’s Lib Dem transport spokesman Caroline Pidgeon.
“If there is one line that deserves to benefit from longer hours it must be the Jubilee,” she said afterwards.
“Everyone who uses the Jubilee has already faced months of inconvenience because of the continuing weekend closures.
“Many traders who rely on weekend and evening business have been hit for six.”
Shops and stores at London’s Canary Wharf have been badly hit by the Jubilee’s closures which have left the Isle of Dogs business district isolated from the City and West End.
Caroline Pidgeon reminded Boris of his election pledge to extend the opening hours of the whole Tube network.
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 3 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 4 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 5 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 6 Woman treated at scene as 40 firefighters called to Bow tower block
- 7 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Council rapped by ombudsman after not following safeguarding procedures
- 9 V&A launches festival to celebrate 150 years in Bethnal Green
- 10 O2 Centre climb: Entertaining with fantastic panoramic views of London
“It is now time the Mayor honoured his pledge,” she added. “He should start with the Jubilee Line, where the upgrade works be completed this year.”
Boris has said publicly he wants to extend Tube hours and is considering her proposal for the Jubilee Line.