Run Tube later on Friday and Saturday, London Assembly urges
THE London Underground should run later on Friday and Saturday nights, the London Assembly has urged. Boris Johnson is being asked to extend hours, beginning with the Jubilee Line which has been choked by weekend closures
THE London Underground should run later on Friday and Saturday nights, the London Assembly has urged.
Boris Johnson is being asked to extend hours, beginning with the Jubilee Line which has been choked by weekend closures for the past 18 months.
The call came during the Mayor’s Question Time at City hall yesterday by the Assembly’s Lib Dem transport spokesman Caroline Pidgeon.
“If there is one line that deserves to benefit from longer hours it must be the Jubilee,” she said afterwards.
“Everyone who uses the Jubilee has already faced months of inconvenience because of the continuing weekend closures.
You may also want to watch:
“Many traders who rely on weekend and evening business have been hit for six.”
Shops and stores at London’s Canary Wharf have been badly hit by the Jubilee’s closures which have left the Isle of Dogs business district isolated from the City and West End.
Caroline Pidgeon reminded Boris of his election pledge to extend the opening hours of the whole Tube network.
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 3 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 4 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 5 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 6 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic
- 7 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 8 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 9 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 10 England captain Harry Kane renews his shirt sponsorship with Leyton Orient
“It is now time the Mayor honoured his pledge,” she added. “He should start with the Jubilee Line, where the upgrade works be completed this year.”
Boris has said publicly he wants to extend Tube hours and is considering her proposal for the Jubilee Line.