Run Tube later on Friday and Saturday, London Assembly urges
THE London Underground should run later on Friday and Saturday nights, the London Assembly has urged. Boris Johnson is being asked to extend hours, beginning with the Jubilee Line which has been choked by weekend closures
THE London Underground should run later on Friday and Saturday nights, the London Assembly has urged.
Boris Johnson is being asked to extend hours, beginning with the Jubilee Line which has been choked by weekend closures for the past 18 months.
The call came during the Mayor’s Question Time at City hall yesterday by the Assembly’s Lib Dem transport spokesman Caroline Pidgeon.
“If there is one line that deserves to benefit from longer hours it must be the Jubilee,” she said afterwards.
“Everyone who uses the Jubilee has already faced months of inconvenience because of the continuing weekend closures.
You may also want to watch:
“Many traders who rely on weekend and evening business have been hit for six.”
Shops and stores at London’s Canary Wharf have been badly hit by the Jubilee’s closures which have left the Isle of Dogs business district isolated from the City and West End.
Caroline Pidgeon reminded Boris of his election pledge to extend the opening hours of the whole Tube network.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 4 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 7 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 8 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
“It is now time the Mayor honoured his pledge,” she added. “He should start with the Jubilee Line, where the upgrade works be completed this year.”
Boris has said publicly he wants to extend Tube hours and is considering her proposal for the Jubilee Line.