Rush hour queues on A12 and A13 as Blackwall tunnel closes following collision
- Credit: Google Maps
The Blackwall tunnel is closed southbound following a collision between a lorry and a motorbike.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman confirmed that the incident took place around 4.20pm today and that an ambulance was at the scene. The biker, a man in his 30s, has been taken to hospital with a serious leg injury.
Drivers heading towards the tunnel are currently experiencing queues on the A12 past the Old Ford interchange and on the A13 past the Canning Town flyover.
They are being encouraged to take alternative routes and use other river crossing options - either the Woolwich ferry, the Rotherhithe tunnel or the M25 Dartford crossing.
However, the Woolwich ferry is only running a one-boat service today due to a technical defect.
You may also want to watch:
Transport for London has confirmed that the 108 bus is running a split service from Canning Town to Stratford and again from North Greenwich to Lewisham, with bus tickets accepted on the Jubilee line between Stratford and North Greenwich.
Buses serving the Poplar, Limehouse, Canning Town and Bow areas are delayed, with bus passes accepted on the DLR and on the Jubilee line between North Greenwich and Stratford.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 9 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
Traffic is also slow on the tunnel’s northbound approach, with queues extending towards the Sun in the Sands roundabout, the junction with the A2.