Rushanara Ali: MP condems MoD for not responding to Bow residents’ missile fears
The MP for Bethnal Green and Bow has condemned the government for failing to respond to residents’ fears about missiles being placed on a residential block during the Olympics.
It comes after Rushanara Ali attended a public meeting last week organised by residents to discuss the Ministry of Defence’s plans to base surface to air missiles on top of a watertower at Bow Quarter in Fairfield Road.
The site would form part of an Olympic ring of missile around London designed to defend the Olympic Park in Stratford from a September 11 style terrorist attack during this summer’s Games.
More than 200 people attended the meeting in Bow but the MoD failed to show up after being invited.
Ms Ali said: “The MoD completely failed to consult and engage with the residents of Bow about basing surface to air missiles on the building during the Olympic Games.
You may also want to watch:
“At the meeting it was made clear to me that there is still much uncertainty surrounding the MoD’s plans.
“The very least the MoD could have done is sent a representative to the meeting to provide an explanation.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
“Residents have a right to know what the implications of having missiles based on their roof tops will be. I now call on the MoD to co-operate and provide some clarity on this issue to my constituents.”