Rushanara Ali: MP condems MoD for not responding to Bow residents’ missile fears
The MP for Bethnal Green and Bow has condemned the government for failing to respond to residents’ fears about missiles being placed on a residential block during the Olympics.
It comes after Rushanara Ali attended a public meeting last week organised by residents to discuss the Ministry of Defence’s plans to base surface to air missiles on top of a watertower at Bow Quarter in Fairfield Road.
The site would form part of an Olympic ring of missile around London designed to defend the Olympic Park in Stratford from a September 11 style terrorist attack during this summer’s Games.
More than 200 people attended the meeting in Bow but the MoD failed to show up after being invited.
Ms Ali said: “The MoD completely failed to consult and engage with the residents of Bow about basing surface to air missiles on the building during the Olympic Games.
You may also want to watch:
“At the meeting it was made clear to me that there is still much uncertainty surrounding the MoD’s plans.
“The very least the MoD could have done is sent a representative to the meeting to provide an explanation.
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 3 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 7 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 8 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 9 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
“Residents have a right to know what the implications of having missiles based on their roof tops will be. I now call on the MoD to co-operate and provide some clarity on this issue to my constituents.”