Sadiq Khan MP visits Bethnal Green to back John Biggs for Mayor
- Credit: Archant
Sadiq Khan MP visited Bethnal Green yesterday for some last minute campaigning for Labour’s mayoral candidate John Biggs.
Mr Khan, who is the Labour Party’s shadow London Minister, greeted residents in Globe Town Market on Roman Road, and said voters should turn out today for Mr Biggs.
Speaking to the Advertiser, he said: “I’ve been really impressed by the campaign John Biggs has run. It’s a unifying campaign.
“I have known John for more than 20 years. He’s got a track record as a councillor, a council leader and at the London Assembly, of working for people from all parties and backgrounds.
“I can imagine John Biggs working as hard for Tower Hamlets against this Tory-led government.”
You may also want to watch:
The MP also criticised Mayor Lutfur Rahman, standing for re-election today, whose team recently cited a TV appearance by Mr Khan as proof the national Labour Party had given up in Tower Hamlets.
He said: “I think the incumbent needs to stop these desperate tactics.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
“Had he spent his time being on the side of local residents he would have served them better over the last four years.”
Read more here: