Safety chief backs tragic cyclist's campaign
A SAFETY campaign for the junction where a young cyclist lost her life has been joined by Tower Hamlets council s safety leader. Cllr Abdal Ullah pled
A SAFETY campaign for the junction where a young cyclist lost her life has been joined by Tower Hamlets council's safety leader.
Cllr Abdal Ullah pledged his support to make the junction of Vallance Road and Whitechapel Road safer after 26-year-old Chrystelle Brown was killed in a collision with a lorry on Wednesday last week.
Cllr Ullah's own father, Jain Ullah, 67, died after he was in collision with a cyclist on in The Highway during the London Triathlon last month, prompting the lead member for community safety to highlight dangerous roads and junctions.
The family of "beautiful and bubbly" Chrystelle, a keen cyclist from Stoke Newington, have set up an online petition calling for the "dangerous" junction to be made safer.
You may also want to watch:
Cousins Kat and Jen Hawes have started the petition campaigning for the layout of the junction, which is managed by Transport for London, to be changed to make it safer for cyclists.
Cllr Ullah said: "Although it is looked after by TFL and Tower Hamlets council has no jurisdiction, I am happy to support the campaign.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
"Any death on the roads is a tragedy and we need to do everything we can to make roads safer for all road users, including cyclists."
To sign the petition, visit: TEXT TO APPEAR