Safety chief backs tragic cyclist's campaign
A SAFETY campaign for the junction where a young cyclist lost her life has been joined by Tower Hamlets council s safety leader. Cllr Abdal Ullah pled
A SAFETY campaign for the junction where a young cyclist lost her life has been joined by Tower Hamlets council's safety leader.
Cllr Abdal Ullah pledged his support to make the junction of Vallance Road and Whitechapel Road safer after 26-year-old Chrystelle Brown was killed in a collision with a lorry on Wednesday last week.
Cllr Ullah's own father, Jain Ullah, 67, died after he was in collision with a cyclist on in The Highway during the London Triathlon last month, prompting the lead member for community safety to highlight dangerous roads and junctions.
The family of "beautiful and bubbly" Chrystelle, a keen cyclist from Stoke Newington, have set up an online petition calling for the "dangerous" junction to be made safer.
Cousins Kat and Jen Hawes have started the petition campaigning for the layout of the junction, which is managed by Transport for London, to be changed to make it safer for cyclists.
Cllr Ullah said: "Although it is looked after by TFL and Tower Hamlets council has no jurisdiction, I am happy to support the campaign.
- 1 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 2 Police looking for missing man last seen leaving hospital
- 3 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 4 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 5 Cardboard boxes causing delays in and around Hackney Wick
- 6 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 7 5 of the best things to do with kids in east London
- 8 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 9 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 10 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
"Any death on the roads is a tragedy and we need to do everything we can to make roads safer for all road users, including cyclists."
To sign the petition, visit: TEXT TO APPEAR