Salvation Army marks its 150th anniversary back to its East End roots
- Credit: Salvation Army
The Salvation Army celebrates its 150th anniversary today with a big parade in London’s East End where it all started in the 1860s.
The world leader of the ‘Sally Ann’ arrives for this-afternoon’s parade in Poplar and a family fun day which includes a workshop for children on how to make a tambourine.
General André Cox, who leads the global church and charity, is special guest at the Salvation Army’s Poplar branch, often called the ‘No. 1 Corps’ because it is the oldest surviving established church for the organisation, which actually began its work on the streets two years before, in 1865.
The General’s visit begins at 3pm when he joins the fun day and tambourine workshop by Timbreltastic at the Salvation Army Hall in Kerbey Street.
He then joins the procession leaving at 5.15pm to Calvary Charismatic Baptist Church accompanied by music and singing from a combined Salvation Army Band and singers from W1 Community Gospel Choir.
You may also want to watch:
A celebration From Music Hall to Lighthouse at the Trinity Hall church begins at 6pm at 119 East India Dock Road.
The celebrations continue tomorrow with Worship at Poplar’s Salvation Army Hall in Kerby Street at 11.15am.
The Salvation Army was born on the streets of Whitechapel in July, 1865, when William Booth began his first open air evangelistic campaign preaching in a tent, when the East End was rife with crime, prostitution and drunkenness.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 8 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 9 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
There was much opposition from tavern keepers and a ‘skeleton army’ emerged to cause trouble on the streets for the salvationists. But eventually the salvationists won over the ‘skeletons’ who joined their ranks.
The mission began working in Poplar in 1867 and was renamed Salvation Army in 1878, as military terminology became more commonplace. Booth became known as the ‘General’.
An early indicator of his social concern was establishing a Food-for-the-Millions programme which provided cheap meals for the poor.
The Poplar Corps and community centre in Kerbey Street is run today by Majors David and Meshiel Brown with programmes including community outreach and advice, a food bank, youth groups and a parent-and-toddler group. Staff and volunteers also run a charity shop and café.