Santa abseils down Goldfinger’s iconic Balfron Tower by Blackwall Tunnel
Father Christmas really does exist—according to the streetwise kids in London’s East End who spotted him abseiling down Erno Goldfinger’s iconic Balfron Tower.
Children watching the portly figure in red, illuminated with a powerful spotlight, scaling down the 27-storey block of flats were hoping he would be bringing an early sack of toys for Christmas.
But it appears he left them in his sleigh parked high up on the rooftop in Poplar.
The youngsters would have to wait till Christmas Eve—this was a fundraiser for three charities in east London.
Santa—otherwise known as Kevin Wright who is a director of Poplar Harca housing organisation which manages Balfron Tower—took the plunge and abseiled down to earth from the rooftop overlooking the entrance to the Blackwall Tunnel to raise money for St Joseph’s Hospice, Care for Causalities and Pollyanna’s Theatre School.
You may also want to watch:
But the kids weren’t disappointed. Poplar Harca laid on a winter wonderland of festivities for them, including husky rides on Santa’s spare sleigh.
They also enjoyed Santa’s grotto, as well as stalls, live music, dancing troupes and children’s panto staged outside Balfron Tower.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 8 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 9 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 10 O’s seeking to end winless run of three games with win over struggling Saddlers
It was the first time anyone has abseiled down the famous 1960s tower block—let alone Santa.