Santa abseils down Goldfinger’s iconic Balfron Tower by Blackwall Tunnel
Father Christmas really does exist—according to the streetwise kids in London’s East End who spotted him abseiling down Erno Goldfinger’s iconic Balfron Tower.
Children watching the portly figure in red, illuminated with a powerful spotlight, scaling down the 27-storey block of flats were hoping he would be bringing an early sack of toys for Christmas.
But it appears he left them in his sleigh parked high up on the rooftop in Poplar.
The youngsters would have to wait till Christmas Eve—this was a fundraiser for three charities in east London.
Santa—otherwise known as Kevin Wright who is a director of Poplar Harca housing organisation which manages Balfron Tower—took the plunge and abseiled down to earth from the rooftop overlooking the entrance to the Blackwall Tunnel to raise money for St Joseph’s Hospice, Care for Causalities and Pollyanna’s Theatre School.
But the kids weren’t disappointed. Poplar Harca laid on a winter wonderland of festivities for them, including husky rides on Santa’s spare sleigh.
They also enjoyed Santa’s grotto, as well as stalls, live music, dancing troupes and children’s panto staged outside Balfron Tower.
- 1 Traffic slow moving in Limehouse and Poplar due to burst water main
- 2 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 3 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 4 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 5 The gift of giving: Where to donate food across east London this Christmas
- 6 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 7 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 8 Delayed Canary Wharf 'portacabin' hotel hopes to open in 2022
- 9 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 10 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
It was the first time anyone has abseiled down the famous 1960s tower block—let alone Santa.