Santa abseils down Goldfinger’s iconic Balfron Tower by Blackwall Tunnel
Father Christmas really does exist—according to the streetwise kids in London’s East End who spotted him abseiling down Erno Goldfinger’s iconic Balfron Tower.
Children watching the portly figure in red, illuminated with a powerful spotlight, scaling down the 27-storey block of flats were hoping he would be bringing an early sack of toys for Christmas.
But it appears he left them in his sleigh parked high up on the rooftop in Poplar.
The youngsters would have to wait till Christmas Eve—this was a fundraiser for three charities in east London.
Santa—otherwise known as Kevin Wright who is a director of Poplar Harca housing organisation which manages Balfron Tower—took the plunge and abseiled down to earth from the rooftop overlooking the entrance to the Blackwall Tunnel to raise money for St Joseph’s Hospice, Care for Causalities and Pollyanna’s Theatre School.
You may also want to watch:
But the kids weren’t disappointed. Poplar Harca laid on a winter wonderland of festivities for them, including husky rides on Santa’s spare sleigh.
They also enjoyed Santa’s grotto, as well as stalls, live music, dancing troupes and children’s panto staged outside Balfron Tower.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
It was the first time anyone has abseiled down the famous 1960s tower block—let alone Santa.