Schoolboy, 8, is latest swine flu victim
AN EIGHT-year-old boy is the latest patient confirmed with swine flu in East London, it has been revealed. The Year 3 pupil was sent home from St Paul with St Luke Church of England Primary School, in Bow, after feeling ill
AN EIGHT-year-old boy is the latest patient confirmed with swine flu in East London, it has been revealed.
The Year 3 pupil was sent home from St Paul with St Luke Church of England Primary School, in Bow, after feeling ill.
Parents at the school received a letter today (Tuesday) confirming he had the virus.
But the school would not be shutting, the local education authority at Tower Hamlets has confirmed.
You may also want to watch:
“The child is currently out of school recovering,” said a Town Hall statement.
”The school is taking advice from the Health Protection Agency and NHS Tower Hamlets and it has not closed.
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 3 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 4 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 5 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 6 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic
- 7 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 8 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 9 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 10 England captain Harry Kane renews his shirt sponsorship with Leyton Orient
“Schools only originally closed to contain the virus—but the health agency has declared that there is no benefit in closing schools as there has now been a large number of confirmed cases in London.”
Parents who want further advice can contact NHS Direct on 020-0845-4647.
The boy is the sixth confirmed case of swine flu in Tower Hamlets, taking the London total to 195.
A member of staff working at nearby London City Airport in neighbouring Newham has also been diagnosed with the virus this week. The airport said anyone who had come into close contact with the worker had been given the all-clear.
These latest two cases in East London follow a supermarket worker at Waitrose store in Canary Wharf who came down with swine flu last week.
There have been 1,582 cases in the UK so far.