Sci-fi characters kick off this year's Great River Race
DARTH VADER will be starting this year s Great River Race in the Docklands on Saturday. The 22 mile race from East to West London started 21 years ago and has grown over the years to attract 300 entries, including 14 dragon boats. This year s theme is Sta
DARTH VADER will be starting this year's Great River Race in the Docklands on Saturday.
The 22 mile race from East to West London started 21 years ago and has grown over the years to attract 300 entries, including 14 dragon boats.
This year's theme is Star Oars and the race will be started by Star Wars characters Darth Vader and several Storm Troopers, with Captain Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean making an appearance as well.
The event begins at 11am at the Millwall Dock slipway near the Docklands Sailing centre in West Ferry Road on Saturday, September 5.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Bridge will also be a good vantage point with the first boats expected to arrive there by 11.30am.
The race finishes at Ham House, near Richmond in Surrey.
- 1 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 2 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 3 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 4 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 5 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 6 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 7 Orient boss McAnuff determined to not help Salford City into the play-offs
- 8 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 9 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 10 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum