Sci-fi characters kick off this year's Great River Race
DARTH VADER will be starting this year s Great River Race in the Docklands on Saturday. The 22 mile race from East to West London started 21 years ago and has grown over the years to attract 300 entries, including 14 dragon boats. This year s theme is Sta
DARTH VADER will be starting this year's Great River Race in the Docklands on Saturday.
The 22 mile race from East to West London started 21 years ago and has grown over the years to attract 300 entries, including 14 dragon boats.
This year's theme is Star Oars and the race will be started by Star Wars characters Darth Vader and several Storm Troopers, with Captain Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean making an appearance as well.
The event begins at 11am at the Millwall Dock slipway near the Docklands Sailing centre in West Ferry Road on Saturday, September 5.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Bridge will also be a good vantage point with the first boats expected to arrive there by 11.30am.
The race finishes at Ham House, near Richmond in Surrey.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 10 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United