Sci-fi characters kick off this year's Great River Race
DARTH VADER will be starting this year s Great River Race in the Docklands on Saturday. The 22 mile race from East to West London started 21 years ago and has grown over the years to attract 300 entries, including 14 dragon boats. This year s theme is Sta
DARTH VADER will be starting this year's Great River Race in the Docklands on Saturday.
The 22 mile race from East to West London started 21 years ago and has grown over the years to attract 300 entries, including 14 dragon boats.
This year's theme is Star Oars and the race will be started by Star Wars characters Darth Vader and several Storm Troopers, with Captain Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean making an appearance as well.
The event begins at 11am at the Millwall Dock slipway near the Docklands Sailing centre in West Ferry Road on Saturday, September 5.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Bridge will also be a good vantage point with the first boats expected to arrive there by 11.30am.
The race finishes at Ham House, near Richmond in Surrey.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 4 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 5 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 7 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 8 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 9 Police called as furious families told to quit Bow's 'dangerous' block
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift