Search for swimmer who jumped into Shadwell Basin
- Credit: Google
An urgent search is under way for a swimmer who jumped into the Shadwell Basin.
The man, believed to be aged 22, was swimming with friends yesterday afternoon (Tuesday, June 23) and did not resurface.
Police were called at 6.06pm to Garnet Street, Shadwell Basin, to a report of a man seen entering the water.
Officers and the marine policing unit attended, along with other emergency service personnel, and searched the area.
London temperatures exceeded 30C (86F) on Tuesday afternoon and the heatwave is expected to continue throughout the week with a possible 38C (100.4F).
You may also want to watch:
In July 2016, a 29-year-old man drowned in Shadwell Basin after jumping into the water with 100 other people.
- 1 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 9 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 10 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims