Serco challenged by three rail operators to take over DLR franchise
- Credit: Serco
The operators running the DLR are facing challenges from three consortia when the franchise is renewed next year.
Four companies want to run the automated passenger rail transit system across east London, with its computerised control centre in Poplar, including the present operators Serco.
Their rival bidders announced by Transport for London today are Stagecoach Rail Projects and two joint ventures, one by Keolis and Amey Rail, the other by Go Ahead and Colas Rail.
“These companies have passed the first stage of the rigorous process in issuing a new franchise,” explained DLR’s acting director Rory O’Neill. “The DLR is already a successful railway—but we are not complacent and want to make sure it continues improving.”
TfL is now issuing an ‘Invitation to Tender’ to the shortlisted companies in the next few weeks, the result of the pre-qualification process following a notice in the Official Journal of the European Union.
You may also want to watch:
Conditions for the new franchise due to start in September next year includes expanding passenger capacity to support Docklands development and to reduce the network’s impact on east London’s environment.
The DLR was Britain’s first automatic, driverless-rail network which was opened by the Queen in the summer of 1987, from Tower Gateway in the City to Island Gardens on the Isle of Dogs and Stratford. It has since been expanded to London City Airport and Beckton and under the Thames to Lewisham.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave