Shadow chancellor Ed Balls lead jobs workshop in Tower
Shadow chancellor Ed balls led a skills and employability workshop for young people in Tower Hamlets on Thursday (October 18).
The event, which comes just weeks after figures revealed an increase in youth unemployment figures in the borough, also boasted Rushanara Ali MP, who represents Bethnal Green and Bow, Labour councillors, and speakers from various businesses and charities.
Ed Balls gave a short presentation on youth unemployment at Queen Mary University, Mile End Road, before a 30-minute Q&A session, in which he was quizzed on the deficit, the government’s plans to bring back O-Levels and youth unemployment.
More than 60 young people attended the workshop and took part in practical workshops designed to give them skills and tips to get their dream job.
Rushanara Ali described the event as a “great opportunity” for young job-hunters, and leader of the Labour Group, Cllr Joshua Peck, added: “Politicians are often seen as full of hot air, so we wanted to show that even in opposition Labour is dedicated to taking practical steps that help our local community to develop and prosper.
You may also want to watch:
“We hope to hold more youth employment related events in the coming months to help the young people of Tower Hamlets best achieve their potential.”
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 4 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 5 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 8 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 9 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 10 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel