Body found in search for missing Shadwell Basin swimmer
- Credit: PA
Police searching for a man in the Shadwell Basin have recovered a body from the water.
The 23-year-old's death is not being treated as suspicious.
He was swimming with friends yesterday afternoon (Tuesday, July 23) when he entered the water and did not resurface.
His body was pulled from the water at around 9.45am today (Wednesday, July 24) after a search involving the marine policing unit.
His next of kin have been informed and a file will be prepared for the coroner.
You may also want to watch:
Two other men who went missing after going swimming in other parts of London - one in Kingston and one near Waterloo bridge - have not yet been found and searches for them continue.
London temperatures exceeded 30C (86F) on Tuesday afternoon and the heatwave is expected to continue throughout the week with a possible 38C (100.4F).
- 1 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 9 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
In July 2016, a 29-year-old man drowned in Shadwell Basin after jumping into the water with 100 other people.