Shadwell Youth Organisation win the Mayor’s cup
- Credit: Rehan Jamil
Shadwell Youth Organisation beat Aldgate Club East 5-4 in penalties at Mile End Stadium to lift the senior men’s trophy.
Shadwell Youth Organisation beat Aldgate Club East 5-4 in penalties at Mile End Stadium on September 9 to lift the senior men’s trophy.
Aldgate had taken a two goal lead at half time, but Shadwell fought back to equalise to 2-2 at full time and ultimately snatch victory on penalties.
The tournament also saw Wapping Youth FC claim three of the 11 titles.
Westward Boys, Victoria Park, Sporting Green Girls, Kekoa, Limehouse Laces Girls and Mindset also claimed winners’ prizes.
You may also want to watch:
The prestigious Mayor’s Cup is delivered in partnership with the borough’s two local leagues - Inner London Football League (ILFL) and Bangladeshi Football Association UK/Sporting Foundation (BFA).
Following last year’s tournament, more than 26 grants were handed to organisations to promote access to and engagement in grassroots football.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 9 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 10 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
John Biggs, executive mayor of tower hamlets, said: “The Mayor’s Cup is a great opportunity for people of all backgrounds to come together to take part in grassroots football.”