Husband of Bethnal Green IS teen wants family to live in the Netherlands
- Credit: MPS
Shamima Begum’s Dutch husband says he wants to return to the Netherlands with her and their newborn son.
Islamic State fighter Yago Riedijk, 27, is being held in a Kurdish-run detention centre in northern Syria.
His wife, who is 19 and has had three children, is reportedly living in a refugee camp near the Iraqi border.
Ms Begum was 15 when she ran away from her home in Bethnal Green to join IS in 2015.
They married before she had turned 16 and Riedijk was 23.
You may also want to watch:
The pair are said to have fled Baghouz, the group’s last foothold in eastern Syria, as its territory collapsed in recent months.
Riedijk, who is said to have rejected IS, was found in the detention centre by the BBC.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 9 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
Asked if he thought marrying a girl of that age was acceptable, he said: “To be honest, when my friend came and said there was a girl who was interested in marriage, I wasn’t that interested because of her age, but I accepted the offer anyway.
“We sat down and she seemed in a good state of mind. It was her own choice, she was the one who asked to look for a partner for her.
“Then I was invited and yeah, she was very young and it might have been better for her to wait a bit. But she didn’t, she chose to get married and I chose to marry her.”
Ms Begum, who said she wants to return to the UK, has been stripped of her British citizenship.