Shop owner at Watney Market in Shadwell to carry Olympic torch through Kent
A shop owner at Watney Market in Shadwell, picked to carry the Olympic torch, has joked he hopes he doesn’t fall over.
Rahul Patel, 22, who owns the Fielding News newsagents in Watney Market, will be carrying the torch through Faversham, Kent in on July 19 —two days before it reaches Tower Hamlets.
Rahul was nominated by his father, Rajesh Patel, who was proud of his son’s charity work.
He said: “Rahul has been organising charity events since he was 14. He has raised thousands of pounds to help children in Africa, India, Sri Lanka and other places to build them schools, clean toilets and providing them with clothes and clean water. He often helps the elderly with shopping to make their days easier. Everything he does is to make others around him smile and make their days easier.”
Rahul works with various charitable organisations and is currently raising money to rebuild schools for orphans in developing countries.
He said: “I’m extremely excited yet nervous about the relay. I’m exceptionally grateful for this opportunity. Let’s just hope I don’t fall over!”
As the Olympic Games draw closer people around the country are being given the chance to get personally involved by carrying the Olympic flame as part of the Torch Relay.
- 1 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 2 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 3 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 4 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 5 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 6 Leyton Orient progress in FA Cup with huge win over Tranmere
- 7 Delayed Canary Wharf 'portacabin' hotel hopes to open in 2022
- 8 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 9 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 10 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
Residents are also invited to gather their neighbours, friends and family together and line the streets on July 21 for the Olympic Torch Relay in Tower Hamlets.
The council is also holding a free community event in Stepney Green Park from 12 - 5pm on July to celebrate the arrival of the Olympic flame.
The flame will be showcased on stage during the event featuring performances, workshops and activities for residents of all ages.
Visit www.london2012.com/olympictorchrelay for details.