Shop owner at Watney Market in Shadwell to carry Olympic torch through Kent
A shop owner at Watney Market in Shadwell, picked to carry the Olympic torch, has joked he hopes he doesn’t fall over.
Rahul Patel, 22, who owns the Fielding News newsagents in Watney Market, will be carrying the torch through Faversham, Kent in on July 19 —two days before it reaches Tower Hamlets.
Rahul was nominated by his father, Rajesh Patel, who was proud of his son’s charity work.
He said: “Rahul has been organising charity events since he was 14. He has raised thousands of pounds to help children in Africa, India, Sri Lanka and other places to build them schools, clean toilets and providing them with clothes and clean water. He often helps the elderly with shopping to make their days easier. Everything he does is to make others around him smile and make their days easier.”
Rahul works with various charitable organisations and is currently raising money to rebuild schools for orphans in developing countries.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I’m extremely excited yet nervous about the relay. I’m exceptionally grateful for this opportunity. Let’s just hope I don’t fall over!”
As the Olympic Games draw closer people around the country are being given the chance to get personally involved by carrying the Olympic flame as part of the Torch Relay.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
Residents are also invited to gather their neighbours, friends and family together and line the streets on July 21 for the Olympic Torch Relay in Tower Hamlets.
The council is also holding a free community event in Stepney Green Park from 12 - 5pm on July to celebrate the arrival of the Olympic flame.
The flame will be showcased on stage during the event featuring performances, workshops and activities for residents of all ages.
Visit www.london2012.com/olympictorchrelay for details.