Search

Shopping sparks Shadwell gas alert

PUBLISHED: 13:00 11 September 2009 | UPDATED: 14:51 05 October 2010

SHOPPING bags hung on a gas cooker sparked a fire brigade after the gas was accidently turned on by the weight of the bags. A neighbour called the fire brigade after smelling gas late at night and firefighters had to knock on several doors in a block of

SHOPPING bags hung on a gas cooker sparked a fire brigade after the gas was accidently turned on by the weight of the bags.

A neighbour called the fire brigade after smelling gas late at night and firefighters had to knock on several doors in a block of flats in Jubilee Street, Shadwell to find out where the problem was.

They were called out just before midnight on Thursday and discovered that the resident had gone to bed and had left the shopping hanging on the cooker.

Fire fighters advise people to have a bedtime routine to check that the tv is turned off, check that candles are out and ashtrays safe and that the gas is off - and there's nothing dangerous left on the cooker.

They also offer fire safety checks to reduce the risk of fire.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the East London Advertiser