Shopping sparks Shadwell gas alert
SHOPPING bags hung on a gas cooker sparked a fire brigade after the gas was accidently turned on by the weight of the bags. A neighbour called the fire brigade after smelling gas late at night and firefighters had to knock on several doors in a block of
SHOPPING bags hung on a gas cooker sparked a fire brigade after the gas was accidently turned on by the weight of the bags.
A neighbour called the fire brigade after smelling gas late at night and firefighters had to knock on several doors in a block of flats in Jubilee Street, Shadwell to find out where the problem was.
They were called out just before midnight on Thursday and discovered that the resident had gone to bed and had left the shopping hanging on the cooker.
Fire fighters advise people to have a bedtime routine to check that the tv is turned off, check that candles are out and ashtrays safe and that the gas is off - and there's nothing dangerous left on the cooker.
You may also want to watch:
They also offer fire safety checks to reduce the risk of fire.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel