Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- Credit: PA
London’s non-essential shops, hairdressers, gyms and salons opened their doors for the first time in more than three months this morning.
Hundreds of eager customers braved the snow and sleet as they descended on Westfield in Newham, with long queues outside branches of TK Maxx and Primark.
“We continue to run one-way systems, heightened hygiene methods and mandatory mask-wearing to ensure a safe place for visitors and employees,” a Westfield spokesperson said.
The independent boutiques in Old Spitalfields Market also reopened their doors promoting a “shop local” message.
Market stalls at the site will start trading again tomorrow.
You may also want to watch:
“Our retail shops are back and we couldn’t be more delighted,” an Old Spitalfields spokesperson said.
“Come and say ‘hi’, show your support and shop local.”
- 1 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 2 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 3 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 4 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 5 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 6 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 7 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 8 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
Beauty businesses said appointments had been flooding in since Prime Minister Boris Johnson confirmed they could reopen last week.
Some salons said they had expanded opening hours and had worked flat out to get their businesses ready for the rush.
Treatwell, a hair and beauty booking website, said its surveys had shown more than half of UK consumers planned to return to a salon immediately or within a few days of reopening.