Showers for cyclists says Mayoral candidate Oona King
OFFICE workers may not have to struggle through the day next to sweaty colleagues who have just cycled into work for much longer.
Mayoral candidate Oona King says private gyms should provide showers for “hot and sticky” cyclists if their own company does not have facilities.
The former Labour MP for Bethnal Green and Bow believes the move would encourage more commuters to cycle into work - and create a more pleasant working environment for their colleagues. Ms King tried to steal Boris Johnson’s cycling crown as she set out a target for 20 per cent of all journeys in the capital being made by bike in 2025. The mayoral hopeful, a keen cyclist, said her target would only be achieved if commuters began making regular journeys by bike.
“The incentive for commuters will increase if they know they can get a shower after a long and sticky ride to work,” she said.
Ms King would also expand the Mayor’s flagship cycle hire scheme to outer London and enable it to be paid for by Oyster card.
You may also want to watch:
City Hall has shower facilities for its workers.
- 1 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 2 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 3 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Man found stabbed on board night bus
- 8 Kitchen blaze sees warning issued over 'strange noises' from appliances
- 9 Witness appeal continues a month after youth stabbed in Shadwell
- 10 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches