Showers for cyclists says Mayoral candidate Oona King
OFFICE workers may not have to struggle through the day next to sweaty colleagues who have just cycled into work for much longer.
Mayoral candidate Oona King says private gyms should provide showers for “hot and sticky” cyclists if their own company does not have facilities.
The former Labour MP for Bethnal Green and Bow believes the move would encourage more commuters to cycle into work - and create a more pleasant working environment for their colleagues. Ms King tried to steal Boris Johnson’s cycling crown as she set out a target for 20 per cent of all journeys in the capital being made by bike in 2025. The mayoral hopeful, a keen cyclist, said her target would only be achieved if commuters began making regular journeys by bike.
“The incentive for commuters will increase if they know they can get a shower after a long and sticky ride to work,” she said.
Ms King would also expand the Mayor’s flagship cycle hire scheme to outer London and enable it to be paid for by Oyster card.
You may also want to watch:
City Hall has shower facilities for its workers.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 4 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 8 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 9 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park