Showers for cyclists says Mayoral candidate Oona King
OFFICE workers may not have to struggle through the day next to sweaty colleagues who have just cycled into work for much longer.
Mayoral candidate Oona King says private gyms should provide showers for “hot and sticky” cyclists if their own company does not have facilities.
The former Labour MP for Bethnal Green and Bow believes the move would encourage more commuters to cycle into work - and create a more pleasant working environment for their colleagues. Ms King tried to steal Boris Johnson’s cycling crown as she set out a target for 20 per cent of all journeys in the capital being made by bike in 2025. The mayoral hopeful, a keen cyclist, said her target would only be achieved if commuters began making regular journeys by bike.
“The incentive for commuters will increase if they know they can get a shower after a long and sticky ride to work,” she said.
Ms King would also expand the Mayor’s flagship cycle hire scheme to outer London and enable it to be paid for by Oyster card.
You may also want to watch:
City Hall has shower facilities for its workers.
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 3 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 4 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 5 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 6 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 7 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 8 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 Bronze Age hoard to go on show after 3,000 years and an extra year's delay