Showers for cyclists says Mayoral candidate Oona King
OFFICE workers may not have to struggle through the day next to sweaty colleagues who have just cycled into work for much longer.
Mayoral candidate Oona King says private gyms should provide showers for “hot and sticky” cyclists if their own company does not have facilities.
The former Labour MP for Bethnal Green and Bow believes the move would encourage more commuters to cycle into work - and create a more pleasant working environment for their colleagues. Ms King tried to steal Boris Johnson’s cycling crown as she set out a target for 20 per cent of all journeys in the capital being made by bike in 2025. The mayoral hopeful, a keen cyclist, said her target would only be achieved if commuters began making regular journeys by bike.
“The incentive for commuters will increase if they know they can get a shower after a long and sticky ride to work,” she said.
Ms King would also expand the Mayor’s flagship cycle hire scheme to outer London and enable it to be paid for by Oyster card.
You may also want to watch:
City Hall has shower facilities for its workers.
- 1 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 2 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 3 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 4 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 5 Driver demo blocks Uber's Whitechapel HQ in termination appeals dispute
- 6 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 7 ‘Humanitarian disaster’ food shortage for East End families in poverty
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win