Smiling Parvin, 10, trains’ to be a winner in art
PARVIN Begum’s artistic talents have won her top prize in the East London Line schools’ art competition. Her drawing of one of the new London Overground trains on the move landed her a �15 book voucher and her school, Thomas Buxton Junior in Whitechapel, a �100 donation for its library
PARVIN Begum's artistic talents have won her top prize in the East London Line schools' art competition.
Her drawing of one of the new London Overground trains on the move landed her a �15 book voucher and her school, Thomas Buxton Junior in Whitechapel, a �100 donation for its library.
"I'm chuffed to bits," said the winning Year 6 pupil from Bethnal Green. "I wasn't expecting it at all."
You may also want to watch:
She's going to use the voucher for books for next academic year.
Her head teacher Jim Shearly said: "This is a great way to get the pupils interest in the East London Line."
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
- 4 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 5 New Providence Wharf: The four-year fight to remove 'Grenfell cladding'
- 6 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 9 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 10 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
The kids are probably already well aware anyway about the line being extended north from Whitechapel as the school sits cheek-by-jowl alongside one of the major construction sites behind Buxton Street.
The new trains 10-year-old Parvin drew are being introduced on the new Overground network through Hackney later this year, which will also run on the East London section when it reopens in 2010. The line is also being extended south from New Cross to Croydon.