Smiling Parvin, 10, trains’ to be a winner in art
PARVIN Begum’s artistic talents have won her top prize in the East London Line schools’ art competition. Her drawing of one of the new London Overground trains on the move landed her a �15 book voucher and her school, Thomas Buxton Junior in Whitechapel, a �100 donation for its library
PARVIN Begum's artistic talents have won her top prize in the East London Line schools' art competition.
Her drawing of one of the new London Overground trains on the move landed her a �15 book voucher and her school, Thomas Buxton Junior in Whitechapel, a �100 donation for its library.
"I'm chuffed to bits," said the winning Year 6 pupil from Bethnal Green. "I wasn't expecting it at all."
She's going to use the voucher for books for next academic year.
Her head teacher Jim Shearly said: "This is a great way to get the pupils interest in the East London Line."
- 1 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 2 Abba Voyage: A spectacular trip into an enchanted world
- 3 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 4 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 5 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 6 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 7 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 8 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 9 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 10 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
The kids are probably already well aware anyway about the line being extended north from Whitechapel as the school sits cheek-by-jowl alongside one of the major construction sites behind Buxton Street.
The new trains 10-year-old Parvin drew are being introduced on the new Overground network through Hackney later this year, which will also run on the East London section when it reopens in 2010. The line is also being extended south from New Cross to Croydon.