Snow joke as East London struggles with the snow
Snow bound travellers have struggled into work as planes at London City Airport are grounded.
As Londoners cope with the third day of snow London City Airport has closed its runway until at least midday.
Flights to the Isle of Man, Edinburgh, Dublin, Amsterdam and Paris Orly are amongst those delayed or cancelled.
On the Underground the Circle, District, Hammersmith and City, Jubilee lines are all experiencing delays and the East London line is experiencing delays with the line between Dalston Junction and West Croydon suspended between New Cross Gate and West Croydon.
However a shuttle service is running between Dalston Junction and News Cross/ New Cross Gate.
At 10am the temperature recorded at the weather station at the Whitechapel Mission is minus 1 degree C.
The mission in Whitechapel Road opens its doors to overnight visitors as temperatures plummet below zero, offering them a hot meal, shower and bed for the night and a hearty breakfast in the morning.
- 1 Work begins on £300m Chrisp Street Market redevelopment
- 2 Council houses named after Matchgirls Strike leader
- 3 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 4 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 5 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 6 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 7 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 8 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 9 Traffic slow moving in Limehouse and Poplar due to burst water main
- 10 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
So far it has been open every night since Saturday as East London experiences one of the coldest winters on record.
Bishop Challoner School in Commercial Road is closed today and the school’s 1,750 pupils are at home enjoying the weather or getting on course work.
Raines Foundation School is also shut.