Office block? No, it’s a school in Mile End which National Theatre artist Steve Peters underlines in paint
- Credit: Paradigm Trust
You could walk past Solebay primary academy in Mile End and not realise it’s a school.
It looks more like an office block where you’d normally find people at their desks if it wasn’t for the latest Lockdown.
So the school hired an artist who’s been on furlough from the National Theatre to make the functional building in Solebay Street, by the Regent’s Canal opposite Mile End Park, look more like a place of learning than a place of commerce.
But artist Steve Peters, who normally dabs paint for scenes on stage at The National when he’s not on furlough, didn’t just hop up a ladder with his pallet.
He organised a workshop with history teacher Krisan Shukla and got the kids from Year 5 and Year 6 to design the characters from history that he could put in the mural—like the Tudors’ Henry VIII and an Anglo-Saxon worrier from pre-Norman times.
You may also want to watch:
Paradigm Trust’s Solebay Primary principal Janet Baker said: “It’s a shame the arts suffer during the pandemic, but we’re lucky to have found Steven.
“We’re not like a traditional school building, so hopefully the mural that’s been a fantastic project for our pupils will help us engage more with the community.”
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 5 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 6 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 7 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 8 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 9 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 10 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
Word has it that the kids are so thrilled with their new mural that Steve has been asked to come back and start work for another mural in the school hall itself.