Someone set light to pram causing tower block fire
Dear Ed, I SHARE John Bloxam’s concerns following last year’s fire at Lister House in Bethnal Green, especially in light of the Camberwell tragedy last month. The fire at Lister House in 2008 was caused by someone setting light to a pram left in the communal area
I SHARE John Bloxam’s concerns following last year’s fire at Lister House in Bethnal Green, especially in light of the Camberwell tragedy last month (Advertiser Website letters July 13. Our Health and Safety manager also met him to discuss his points.
The fire at Lister House in June, 2008, was caused by someone setting light to a pram left in the communal area. We reacted swiftly by repairing the damage and repairing four fire doors. We worked with neighbourhood police and the fire brigade to find the culprit.
Every resident received a letter highlighting the dangers of storing items or discarding bulk rubbish in communal areas.
We carry out regular safety audits of the blocks we manage to keep the risk of fire to a minimum. Our caretakers routinely check for obvious hazards. They remove daily one of the biggest hazards, bulk rubbish in communal areas.
Within 48 hours of the Camberwell fire (in which four children and two women died), Tower Hamlets Homes carried out an investigation of the 13 East End tower blocks with similar construction, checking fire doors and making sure any items and rubbish causing a hazard were removed.
You may also want to watch:
We are inspecting all buildings with eight or more storeys in July and August. This includes Lister House, where we have already carried out an initial inspection which assessed the fire doors as providing a high level of protection—but in need of repair, which was carried out last week.
Gavin Cansfield, Chief Executive
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 7 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 8 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
Tower Hamlets Homes
Jack Dash House, Millwall, Isle of Dogs