Something must be done about Island Homes
Dear Ed, SOMETHING has gone terribly wrong at Island Homes registered social landlord’ on the Isle of Dogs, including their failure to establish a residents-led management board. The situation on the former council estates was so bad that even Labour Tower Hamlets council was forced to write to the Housing Minister Margaret Beckett in November asking her to intervene
SOMETHING has gone terribly wrong at Island Homes registered social landlord’. We have heard a succession of complaints for some time now about Island Homes’ management, including and above all their failure to establish a residents-led management board.
The situation on their former council estates on the Isle of Dogs was so bad that even the Labour Tower Hamlets council, which encouraged the transfer of so much of its public housing stock to the private sector, was forced to write to the Housing Minister Margaret Beckett in November asking her to intervene. Residents are still waiting to see the response to this letter as nothing seems to have been done.
Now we learn a very experienced and well-respected housing officer, Debbie Cordrey, has been summarily dismissed. The Respect Group at Tower Hamlets council gives her our full support and demands her immediate reinstatement.
You may also want to watch:
The Government and the council must act. If it requires legislation to take control of this social landlord, then the Government must rush that law through. The Government created this mess with its stock transfer programme. Now it must sort it out.
Cllr Dulal Uddin
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
Respect Group Deputy Leader
Tower Hamlets council
Town Hall, Blackwall