Something must be done about Island Homes
Dear Ed, SOMETHING has gone terribly wrong at Island Homes registered social landlord’ on the Isle of Dogs, including their failure to establish a residents-led management board. The situation on the former council estates was so bad that even Labour Tower Hamlets council was forced to write to the Housing Minister Margaret Beckett in November asking her to intervene
SOMETHING has gone terribly wrong at Island Homes registered social landlord’. We have heard a succession of complaints for some time now about Island Homes’ management, including and above all their failure to establish a residents-led management board.
The situation on their former council estates on the Isle of Dogs was so bad that even the Labour Tower Hamlets council, which encouraged the transfer of so much of its public housing stock to the private sector, was forced to write to the Housing Minister Margaret Beckett in November asking her to intervene. Residents are still waiting to see the response to this letter as nothing seems to have been done.
Now we learn a very experienced and well-respected housing officer, Debbie Cordrey, has been summarily dismissed. The Respect Group at Tower Hamlets council gives her our full support and demands her immediate reinstatement.
You may also want to watch:
The Government and the council must act. If it requires legislation to take control of this social landlord, then the Government must rush that law through. The Government created this mess with its stock transfer programme. Now it must sort it out.
Cllr Dulal Uddin
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 3 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 6 New pizza restaurant opening with drag and disco party
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
Respect Group Deputy Leader
Tower Hamlets council
Town Hall, Blackwall