Southwark council gives green light to Surrey Quays extension
A �30m redevelopment of Surrey Quays shopping centre has been given the go-ahead by Southwark Council.
Planning permission was granted for a 110,000 square foot extension to the centre, making room for 18 new shops and restaurants, as well as space for an outdoor dining area.
The council hope that the work will be completed in time for summer 2014, with work set to start in spring 2013. The development will include improvements to the transport system and public spaces in the vicinity of the centre, as well as refurbishments to the existing centre.
Leader of Southwark Council Peter John was optimistic that the investment could have a positive impact on the surrounding area.
He said: “The improvements to Surrey Quays Shopping Centre are most welcome and offer a positive next phase in the regeneration of Canada Water. The development will bring much needed local investment, new jobs, exciting retailers and family restaurants while improving public areas and travel connections.”
You may also want to watch:
The centre’s manager, Ian Moore, believes the investment represents an important step in the ongoing regeberation of the Canada Water area.
He said: “The extension to the scheme will provide a high quality shopping environment with enhanced travel connections and a much improved retail and restaurant offer. Additionally it will create a significant number of job opportunities for local people.”
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided