Southwark council gives green light to Surrey Quays extension
A �30m redevelopment of Surrey Quays shopping centre has been given the go-ahead by Southwark Council.
Planning permission was granted for a 110,000 square foot extension to the centre, making room for 18 new shops and restaurants, as well as space for an outdoor dining area.
The council hope that the work will be completed in time for summer 2014, with work set to start in spring 2013. The development will include improvements to the transport system and public spaces in the vicinity of the centre, as well as refurbishments to the existing centre.
Leader of Southwark Council Peter John was optimistic that the investment could have a positive impact on the surrounding area.
He said: “The improvements to Surrey Quays Shopping Centre are most welcome and offer a positive next phase in the regeneration of Canada Water. The development will bring much needed local investment, new jobs, exciting retailers and family restaurants while improving public areas and travel connections.”
You may also want to watch:
The centre’s manager, Ian Moore, believes the investment represents an important step in the ongoing regeberation of the Canada Water area.
He said: “The extension to the scheme will provide a high quality shopping environment with enhanced travel connections and a much improved retail and restaurant offer. Additionally it will create a significant number of job opportunities for local people.”
- 1 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 2 Study asks: why are canals and rivers a watery lifeline during pandemic?
- 3 Building new tower block starts on Limehouse Triangle 'wildlife site'
- 4 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 5 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 6 Report reveals scale of support offered by council during Covid crisis
- 7 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 10 Stolen bikes being recycled in Mile End by police