Sprinklers save Poplar tower block residents from kitchen blaze
PUBLISHED: 08:18 19 February 2018
An infant was rushed to hospital after an unattended chip pan led to a blaze in a block of flats.
Two women and four children got to safety as fire broke out in their fifteenth floor flat in City Island Way, Poplar.
A further 60 residents managed to escape the block when firefighters arrived at the scene at 7.23pm on Thursday.
Fire crews treated one infant and took them to hospital “as a precaution”, London Fire Brigade (LFB) said.
The sprinkler system in the kitchen had put out the flames before they could damage the flat.
“We want to remind people to never leave a pan alone with the heat on – not even for a few seconds,” said LFB senior fire safety officer Neil Guyett.
“You should also never tackle the fire yourself, get out and call 999.”
The Brigade has renewed calls for sprinklers in all residential tower blocks and new school builds following the Grenfell Tower disaster.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.