Sprinklers save Poplar tower block residents from kitchen blaze
- Credit: Google
An infant was rushed to hospital after an unattended chip pan led to a blaze in a block of flats.
Two women and four children got to safety as fire broke out in their fifteenth floor flat in City Island Way, Poplar.
A further 60 residents managed to escape the block when firefighters arrived at the scene at 7.23pm on Thursday.
Fire crews treated one infant and took them to hospital “as a precaution”, London Fire Brigade (LFB) said.
The sprinkler system in the kitchen had put out the flames before they could damage the flat.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to remind people to never leave a pan alone with the heat on – not even for a few seconds,” said LFB senior fire safety officer Neil Guyett.
“You should also never tackle the fire yourself, get out and call 999.”
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 9 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
The Brigade has renewed calls for sprinklers in all residential tower blocks and new school builds following the Grenfell Tower disaster.