Squatters occupy Isle of Dogs block desperate over housing list
A BLOCK of empty flats have been taken over by squatters despairing at the length of the housing waiting list in London’s East End. The squatters moved into vacant flats on the Isle of Dogs over the Bank Holiday weekend in what nearby neighbours described as “a military-type operation”
A BLOCK of empty flats has been taken over by squatters despairing at the length of the housing waiting list in London’s East End.
The squatters moved into vacant flats at Glengarnock Avenue at Millwall, on the Isle of Dogs, over the Bank Holiday weekend in what nearby neighbours described as “a military-type operation.”
Most of the block owned by Eastend Homes has been empty for nine months after families were paid �4,000 each to be rehoused elsewhere.
The squatters occupying 24 flats insist they want to live quietly and don’t want to disturb neighbours.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to do this by the book,” one squatter named George told the East London Advertiser.
“I moved from another squat because of disruptive elements.”
- 1 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 4 Green light for £1m in levies to be used for East End fire rescue ladder
- 5 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 6 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
- 7 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 8 Bethnal Green rubbish 'attracts rats' as 'pingdemic' delays collections
- 9 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 10 Remembrance to Bethnal Green's ‘perfect storm’ fire tragedy 17 years on
The squatters who want to join the Tower Hamlets 22,000-long housing waiting list for social-rented properties say they took desperate measures in fear of never getting to the top of the list.
Eastend Homes say it is taking legal action to get the squatters out and repossess the block “as soon as possible.”