St George to gallop into Spitalfields on a white steed
MEDIEVAL knights will do battle in Spitalfields tomorrow (Friday) as the East End travels back in time to celebrate St George s Day. An armour-clad St George is due to parade along Brushfield Street on horseback before duelling with another knight in a
MEDIEVAL knights will do battle in Spitalfields tomorrow (Friday) as the East End travels back in time to celebrate St George's Day.
An armour-clad 'St George' is due to parade along Brushfield Street on horseback before duelling with another knight in a recreation of a ferocious swordfight at Spitalfields Market to mark the saint's day of the Patron Saint of England.
Riding a white horse, St George, accompanied by the two knights, will be parading around the streets of Spitalfields throughout the morning and his visit will culminate in a display of fighting using an array of historic weapons, including spikes, chains, swords and pole arms.
This main display will take place at 1pm inside a specially-built arena in the main market hall.
You may also want to watch:
Old Spitalfields Market's events manager Andrew Sparrow said: "We held a similar event last year and the crowds loved it. The performers really give it their all; so much so that I'm sure that it must really hurt!
- 1 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 2 Leyton Orient reportedly down to final three candidates
- 3 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 4 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 5 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 6 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 7 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 8 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 9 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 10 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs