St George to gallop into Spitalfields on a white steed
MEDIEVAL knights will do battle in Spitalfields tomorrow (Friday) as the East End travels back in time to celebrate St George s Day. An armour-clad St George is due to parade along Brushfield Street on horseback before duelling with another knight in a
MEDIEVAL knights will do battle in Spitalfields tomorrow (Friday) as the East End travels back in time to celebrate St George's Day.
An armour-clad 'St George' is due to parade along Brushfield Street on horseback before duelling with another knight in a recreation of a ferocious swordfight at Spitalfields Market to mark the saint's day of the Patron Saint of England.
Riding a white horse, St George, accompanied by the two knights, will be parading around the streets of Spitalfields throughout the morning and his visit will culminate in a display of fighting using an array of historic weapons, including spikes, chains, swords and pole arms.
This main display will take place at 1pm inside a specially-built arena in the main market hall.
You may also want to watch:
Old Spitalfields Market's events manager Andrew Sparrow said: "We held a similar event last year and the crowds loved it. The performers really give it their all; so much so that I'm sure that it must really hurt!
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 6 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 7 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 10 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020