St George turns up on his white horse at Spitalfields Market
KNIGHTS jousting and cockney pensioners tucking into traditional fish’n’chips are among St George’s Day celebrations this-afternoon in London’s East End. Even St George himself has been spotted on a white horse riding through the streets
KNIGHTS jousting and cockney pensioners tucking into traditional fish’n’chips are among St George’s Day celebrations this-afternoon in London’s East End.
Even St George himself, or someone who looks like him, has been riding on a magnificent white horse through the streets.
Shoppers in the historic Old Spitalfields Market saw a display of jousting by two expert knights clad in full medieval armour.
St George himself has been riding along the Commercial Street and down Bishopsgate past Liverpool Street station stopping traffic in its tracks, then returning to the Old Market in Brushfield Street for the Olde English display of fighting using historic weapons such as spikes, chains, swords and pole arms.
Market events manager Andrew Sparrow said: “We held a similar event last year when the performers got so much involved so that I’m sure it must really hurt!”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, pensioners are being treated to a slap-up cockney fish’n’chips at a St George’s Day party arranged by Tower Hamlets Community Housing at Bethnal Green’s Zander Court Community centre nearby.
It’s a bit of a knees-up with a traditional East End live band as well as the chip supper wrapped, of course, in newspaper.
- 1 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 4 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 'Earn while you learn' new degree course for students from any background
- 7 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 10 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries