St George turns up on his white horse at Spitalfields Market
KNIGHTS jousting and cockney pensioners tucking into traditional fish’n’chips are among St George’s Day celebrations this-afternoon in London’s East End. Even St George himself has been spotted on a white horse riding through the streets
KNIGHTS jousting and cockney pensioners tucking into traditional fish’n’chips are among St George’s Day celebrations this-afternoon in London’s East End.
Even St George himself, or someone who looks like him, has been riding on a magnificent white horse through the streets.
Shoppers in the historic Old Spitalfields Market saw a display of jousting by two expert knights clad in full medieval armour.
St George himself has been riding along the Commercial Street and down Bishopsgate past Liverpool Street station stopping traffic in its tracks, then returning to the Old Market in Brushfield Street for the Olde English display of fighting using historic weapons such as spikes, chains, swords and pole arms.
Market events manager Andrew Sparrow said: “We held a similar event last year when the performers got so much involved so that I’m sure it must really hurt!”
Meanwhile, pensioners are being treated to a slap-up cockney fish’n’chips at a St George’s Day party arranged by Tower Hamlets Community Housing at Bethnal Green’s Zander Court Community centre nearby.
It’s a bit of a knees-up with a traditional East End live band as well as the chip supper wrapped, of course, in newspaper.
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 3 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 4 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 5 Come Dine With Me calls on east London restaurants for new show
- 6 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 7 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 8 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021
- 9 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 10 Reports of man 'carrying metal pole' in Isle of Dogs