St George turns up on his white horse at Spitalfields Market
KNIGHTS jousting and cockney pensioners tucking into traditional fish’n’chips are among St George’s Day celebrations this-afternoon in London’s East End. Even St George himself has been spotted on a white horse riding through the streets
KNIGHTS jousting and cockney pensioners tucking into traditional fish’n’chips are among St George’s Day celebrations this-afternoon in London’s East End.
Even St George himself, or someone who looks like him, has been riding on a magnificent white horse through the streets.
Shoppers in the historic Old Spitalfields Market saw a display of jousting by two expert knights clad in full medieval armour.
St George himself has been riding along the Commercial Street and down Bishopsgate past Liverpool Street station stopping traffic in its tracks, then returning to the Old Market in Brushfield Street for the Olde English display of fighting using historic weapons such as spikes, chains, swords and pole arms.
Market events manager Andrew Sparrow said: “We held a similar event last year when the performers got so much involved so that I’m sure it must really hurt!”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, pensioners are being treated to a slap-up cockney fish’n’chips at a St George’s Day party arranged by Tower Hamlets Community Housing at Bethnal Green’s Zander Court Community centre nearby.
It’s a bit of a knees-up with a traditional East End live band as well as the chip supper wrapped, of course, in newspaper.
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 3 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 4 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 6 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 7 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 8 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 9 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 10 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid