Stepney care home makes pensioner’s Porsche wish come true
- Credit: Archant
An elderly man’s wish came true when he was given the opportunity to take a spin in a Porsche.
82-year-old Ron Ballard, a resident at Hawthorn Green Residential and Nursing Home, in Redmans Road, Stepney, was given a ride in his dream car as part of the homes make a wish project.
Ron, who was born in London’s Guy’s Hospital, said: “I’ve always wanted to ride in a Porsche but I didn’t think it would actually happen.”
“I got myself a licence when I was younger but have never drove; I always cycled and just admired all the cars, especially the fast ones – I used to enjoy extreme sports so I liked the look of the faster cars.”
The sports car was provided by the Porsche Centre East London, in Beckton.
You may also want to watch:
Amma Nkrumah, Sanctuary Care’s activities leader, said: “Ron’s reaction exceeded all our expectations – he loved every second of it! As soon as he stepped out the car he was so happy and sung us a song to say thank you – there wasn’t a dry eye in the house.
“Thank you Porsche Centre East London for helping to make this unforgettable moment a reality.”
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 6 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 10 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals
Louise Holt, from Porsche Centre East London, added: “It was a pleasure to help Sanctuary Care in making Ron’s wish come true of driving in a Porsche. Ron is a wonderful man and enjoyed the drive, whilst singing some old songs to me. Porsche East London were honoured to be able to help in this project.”
The make a wish project is open to all residents at the home, which offers nursing and dementia care.