Stepney mourns the loss of ‘one in a million’ youth worker
- Credit: Archant
The Stepney community mourned the loss of one its longest serving youth workers last week.
Pat Arnold, of Bancroft Road, worked at the Arbour Youth Centre in Stepney Green since the 1960s acting as a role model for youth workers and young people in the East End.
Pat, hailed as ‘one in million’, sadly passed away on September 15th at the age of 90.
The youth worker originally moved to Stepney in 1960 and soon became involved in providing a space for local kids to meet.
“It was when the tenants association suggested that the kids of the Estate needed somewhere to meet that mum and the Arbour Youth Centre first crossed paths,” said Pat’s daughter Yvonne.
You may also want to watch:
“It was clear that mum had found her vocation. John Newing, who ran the club at the time, asked Pat to join the staff and the rest, as they say, is history.”
“Mum, along with Josie Harriott and Ray Singh, to name a couple, ran one of the most successful Youth Clubs in the area.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 5 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
“Local parents would use the threat ‘I’ll tell Pat’ if their kids wouldn’t go to school or do their homework. To be grounded and not allowed to attend the Arbour was the ultimate punishment.”
Ray Singh, who worked with Pat at the Shandy Street based youth centre, said she would be greatly missed by the Stepney community.
“Pat had great life and she always helped young people in the Stepney area,” said Ray.
“She worked at Arbour for most of her life as a youth worker. She was a very good role model for many youth workers and young people.
“She was one in million and was loved by many people all over Stepney.
“When the word went out about pat’s passing so many people wrote messages on social media. It shows how well connected she was with all the people she helped in the years gone by.
“Our thoughts and best wishes are with her family - she will be missed greatly.”