Stepney schoolkids get taste of Portuguese Piri Piri chicken
KIDS from 50 schools in London’s East End have been tucking into a special Portuguese lunch. The youngsters at one of the schools, Stepney’s Marion Richardson Primary, were served from a menu of Piri Piri Chicken, Portuguese Omelette, baked fish and spicy rice
KIDS from 50 schools in London's East End have been tucking in to a special Portuguese lunch.
The youngsters at one of the schools, Stepney's Marion Richardson Primary, are pictured being served dishes from a menu of Piri Piri Chicken, Portuguese Omelette, baked fish, spicy rice, orange sponge cake and a fresh fruit platter.
Lunch theme days are held regularly to give Tower Hamlets pupils a taste of healthy food from around the world. These have included Chinese, Turkish, Spanish and Greek dishes.
Michael Hales, the council's Head of Contract Services, said: "These theme days are a chance to try different foods. The dishes are sometimes incorporated into our lunch menu if the children like them."
You may also want to watch:
The next planned food theme day is April 23, St George's Day, with a typical English fare.
- 1 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 4 Green light for £1m in levies to be used for East End fire rescue ladder
- 5 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 6 Bethnal Green rubbish 'attracts rats' as 'pingdemic' delays collections
- 7 Remembrance to Bethnal Green's ‘perfect storm’ fire tragedy 17 years on
- 8 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
- 9 Trial of Poplar and Limehouse MP opens on 'housing fraud' charges
- 10 No arrests after triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs