Stepney schoolkids get taste of Portuguese Piri Piri chicken
KIDS from 50 schools in London’s East End have been tucking into a special Portuguese lunch. The youngsters at one of the schools, Stepney’s Marion Richardson Primary, were served from a menu of Piri Piri Chicken, Portuguese Omelette, baked fish and spicy rice
KIDS from 50 schools in London's East End have been tucking in to a special Portuguese lunch.
The youngsters at one of the schools, Stepney's Marion Richardson Primary, are pictured being served dishes from a menu of Piri Piri Chicken, Portuguese Omelette, baked fish, spicy rice, orange sponge cake and a fresh fruit platter.
Lunch theme days are held regularly to give Tower Hamlets pupils a taste of healthy food from around the world. These have included Chinese, Turkish, Spanish and Greek dishes.
Michael Hales, the council's Head of Contract Services, said: "These theme days are a chance to try different foods. The dishes are sometimes incorporated into our lunch menu if the children like them."
You may also want to watch:
The next planned food theme day is April 23, St George's Day, with a typical English fare.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 2 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 3 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
- 4 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 5 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 6 New Providence Wharf: The four-year fight to remove 'Grenfell cladding'
- 7 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs