Stepney schoolkids get taste of Portuguese Piri Piri chicken
KIDS from 50 schools in London’s East End have been tucking into a special Portuguese lunch. The youngsters at one of the schools, Stepney’s Marion Richardson Primary, were served from a menu of Piri Piri Chicken, Portuguese Omelette, baked fish and spicy rice
KIDS from 50 schools in London's East End have been tucking in to a special Portuguese lunch.
The youngsters at one of the schools, Stepney's Marion Richardson Primary, are pictured being served dishes from a menu of Piri Piri Chicken, Portuguese Omelette, baked fish, spicy rice, orange sponge cake and a fresh fruit platter.
Lunch theme days are held regularly to give Tower Hamlets pupils a taste of healthy food from around the world. These have included Chinese, Turkish, Spanish and Greek dishes.
Michael Hales, the council's Head of Contract Services, said: "These theme days are a chance to try different foods. The dishes are sometimes incorporated into our lunch menu if the children like them."
You may also want to watch:
The next planned food theme day is April 23, St George's Day, with a typical English fare.
- 2 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 5 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 8 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt