Steven Berkoff unveils his photos of East End life in 1960s and 70s
- Credit: Middx Uni
Hollywood star Steven Berkoff has opened an exhibition of his photographic collection showing London’s East End in the 1960s and 70s.
His pictures taken more than 40 years ago has inspired today’s students to put together their own photo portfolios which are to go on show the tjhe Old Truman’s Brewery in Brick Lane in June.
The screen actor, director and playwright opened his own photographic exhibition with his evocative black-and-white pictures at Middlesex University last Thursday when he spoke to the undergraduates about his life and career.
Lecturer Kathleen Mullaniff said: “The photographs give us a fascinating insight into the East End in the 1960s and 70s, reminding us of how people lived and worked.”
Berkoff’s black and white ‘social documentary’ snaps taken more than 40 years ago capture everyday life of ordinary people, shops and streets in what was largely a Jewish area.
You may also want to watch:
He was born in Whitechapel in 1937, the son of a Russian-Jewish refugee working in the East End’s tailoring trade. The family lived in rented rooms in Sidney Street before moving out to Hackney.
Steven began his acting career in the 1950s and went to Hollywood in the 1970s, his best-known performances in villainous roles in ‘Rambo’, James Bond’s ‘Octopussy’, ‘Beverly Hills Cop’ and ‘A Clockwork Orange’.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
He starred more recently in ‘Girl with a Dragon Tattoo’ and played opposite Johnny Depp in ‘The Tourist’.
His exhibition of 41 prints of East End life is at Middlesex University’s Hendon campus until Friday.