Streetbank throwing a Higgidy pie party at Poplar’s Robin Hood Gardens
- Credit: Streetbank promo
Families are getting together for a street pie party today which marks the last summer before their huge housing estate in London’s East End is bulldozed.
It may be the last time tenants on Poplar’s massive Robin Hood estate next to the Blackwall Tunnel get the chance to chew the fat before the demolition gangs move in later this year to start the massive Blackwall Reach redevelopment.
So the Streetbank social media websaite is throwing them a free pie party with Higgidy pie-makers from Sussex.
Streetbank member Alexandra Effe entered a Streetie-Pie competition earlier this year by sharing her plans for a neighbourly get-together to try and create lasting bonds before they all move away. She is one of five winners and the party is the first to kick off.
Streetbank currently has 38,000 people share things and skills with neighbours, described by project organisers as a giant toolbox, garden shed, fancy dress chest, DVD collection, toybox and skill-share all rolled into one.
You may also want to watch:
Streetbank teamed up with Higgidy following British Pie Week in March, when pie parties were thrown to help people get to know their neighbours.
The not-for-profit organisation’s founder, Sam Stephens, said: “We all have useful things gathering dust at home that become idle, like DIY tools or baby gear. Sharing the stuff saves money—and it’s greener than throwing it away.”
New members can sign up at Streetbank online free and see everything available within a mile of home and can email other members to request their stuff.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 8 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 9 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 10 O’s seeking to end winless run of three games with win over struggling Saddlers