EastEnders star Richard Blackwood hands out awards to New City College students
- Credit: New City
EastEnders TV star Richard Blackwood was the surprise special guest on stage for the academic awards of New City College students.
Richard, who played Vincent Hubbard in the BBC soap until earlier this year, heard students’ personal stories and how they overcame tragedies.
Anas Al-Humsi who won ‘student of the year’ award for English as a second language had personal tragedy when his family were killed in the war in Syria. He made most of the journey to Britain on foot, enrolled in the college and is now aiming for a career as an electrician.
He was one of 28 students from three campuses in Tower Hamlets, Hackney and Redbridge handed awards by the actor.
Fouziha Rahman, who got the ‘adult learner of the year’ title, joined the access course after recovery from brain injury in an accident which almost ended her life, with just a three per cent survival rate. She completed the course with 11 distinctions and four merits.
You may also want to watch:
Arkin Attila-Murray won the ‘contributing to college life’ award for producing a film on knife crime to get young people to stop and think.
Mohammed Hussain, who won the award for academic achievement while studying for a BTEC science diploma, has battled kidney disease.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 Disgraceful management of the pandemic