Students enrol in East End’s new 6thform campus
STUDENTS are set to enrol in East London’s new sixthform college opening today. The Cambridge Heath Sixthform campus in Bethnal Green offers courses for A-Levels and diplomas
STUDENTS are set to enrol in East London's new sixthform college opening today (Tuesday).
The Cambridge Heath Sixthform campus in Bethnal Green offers courses for A-Levels and diplomas.
It is being run by three Tower Hamlets Secondary schools, Bethnal Green's Morpeth and Oaklands and Whitechapel's Swanlea, to meet the growing demand for sixthform education in the East End.
The schools have pooled resources and expertise for 16 to 19-year-olds.
The campus is planning a 'bonding' day at Redhill in Surrey this week for the first intake to enjoy outdoor activities such as clay pigeon shooting and quad biking, giving the new students a chance to get to know each other.
Morpeth School head Sir Alasdair Macdonald said: "Many pupils from schools in this area have had to travel out of the East End for their sixthform education.
- 1 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 2 Archie Battersbee case to be reconsidered in High Court
- 3 £28k worth of illegal tobacco seized from containers and shops during raids
- 4 Arrest of 'Ilford kingpin' sparked ‘biggest ever' Channel crossings crack down
- 5 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 6 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 Bethnal Green officers sacked over 'abhorrent and discriminatory' messages
- 8 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 9 1888 Match Girls’ Strike marked with blue plaque in east London
- 10 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
"They had long journeys and often turned up at their new colleges not knowing anybody."
The new sixthform campus he hopes will help students make the transition from school easier, with the familiarity of teaching staff and some friends, as well as the shorter journey.
Classes are being taught in the refurbished Wessex community centre as well as at each of the three school campuses. The college also offers students the chance to retake English and maths GCSEs.