Students enrol in East End’s new 6thform campus
STUDENTS are set to enrol in East London’s new sixthform college opening today. The Cambridge Heath Sixthform campus in Bethnal Green offers courses for A-Levels and diplomas
STUDENTS are set to enrol in East London's new sixthform college opening today (Tuesday).
The Cambridge Heath Sixthform campus in Bethnal Green offers courses for A-Levels and diplomas.
It is being run by three Tower Hamlets Secondary schools, Bethnal Green's Morpeth and Oaklands and Whitechapel's Swanlea, to meet the growing demand for sixthform education in the East End.
The schools have pooled resources and expertise for 16 to 19-year-olds.
You may also want to watch:
The campus is planning a 'bonding' day at Redhill in Surrey this week for the first intake to enjoy outdoor activities such as clay pigeon shooting and quad biking, giving the new students a chance to get to know each other.
Morpeth School head Sir Alasdair Macdonald said: "Many pupils from schools in this area have had to travel out of the East End for their sixthform education.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Brigade issues fire safety warning after Limehouse studio blaze
- 3 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 4 Khalid Ali couldn't hide delight after winning start against Dean Wilkinson
- 5 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 6 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 7 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 8 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 9 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 10 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
"They had long journeys and often turned up at their new colleges not knowing anybody."
The new sixthform campus he hopes will help students make the transition from school easier, with the familiarity of teaching staff and some friends, as well as the shorter journey.
Classes are being taught in the refurbished Wessex community centre as well as at each of the three school campuses. The college also offers students the chance to retake English and maths GCSEs.