Students enrol in East End’s new 6thform campus
STUDENTS are set to enrol in East London’s new sixthform college opening today. The Cambridge Heath Sixthform campus in Bethnal Green offers courses for A-Levels and diplomas
STUDENTS are set to enrol in East London's new sixthform college opening today (Tuesday).
The Cambridge Heath Sixthform campus in Bethnal Green offers courses for A-Levels and diplomas.
It is being run by three Tower Hamlets Secondary schools, Bethnal Green's Morpeth and Oaklands and Whitechapel's Swanlea, to meet the growing demand for sixthform education in the East End.
The schools have pooled resources and expertise for 16 to 19-year-olds.
The campus is planning a 'bonding' day at Redhill in Surrey this week for the first intake to enjoy outdoor activities such as clay pigeon shooting and quad biking, giving the new students a chance to get to know each other.
Morpeth School head Sir Alasdair Macdonald said: "Many pupils from schools in this area have had to travel out of the East End for their sixthform education.
- 1 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 2 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 3 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 4 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 5 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 6 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 7 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 8 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 9 New boy Brown 'buzzing' to help Leyton Orient
- 10 Latest Leyton Orient signing Coleman delighted to join 'massive club'
"They had long journeys and often turned up at their new colleges not knowing anybody."
The new sixthform campus he hopes will help students make the transition from school easier, with the familiarity of teaching staff and some friends, as well as the shorter journey.
Classes are being taught in the refurbished Wessex community centre as well as at each of the three school campuses. The college also offers students the chance to retake English and maths GCSEs.