Summer University reaches National Lottery awards finals
A SUMMER university’ for kids in East London which wants to expand nationally has battled its way through to the final stage of this year’s National Lottery awards. Now Tower Hamlets Summer University is going all out for votes after being shortlisted for the search to find Britain’s favourite Lottery projects
A SUMMER 'university' for kids in East London which wants to expand nationally has battled its way through to the final stage of this year's National Lottery awards.
Now Tower Hamlets Summer University is going all out for votes after being shortlisted in the 'best education project' category for the annual search to find the Britain's favourite Lottery-funded projects.
All it has to do now is beat two other finalists in its category to win the title of the UK's favourite project and collect �2,000.
You may also want to watch:
The Summer University's chief Sarah Davies said: "This award would help us expand nationally and enable us to reach thousands more young people across the country."
It offers a year-round programme of free educational and vocational courses in London to youngsters from 11 to 25.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 6 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
- 10 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
Those signing up can take part in anything from music to sport, from IT classes to producing their own magazine or film.
The awards are supported by television presenter Jackie Brambles who said: "Tower Hamlets Summer University is an amazing group doing great work in the community. Every vote makes a difference."
Winners of the Lottery's seven categories are revealed in BBC1's Saturday night National Lottery Big 7 show on a TV near you on September 5.
Public voting starts 9am today (Monday) and ends midday on Friday, August 14. The public can vote for Tower Hamlets Summer University by calling 0844-6869111 or click here online.