Summer University reaches National Lottery awards finals
A SUMMER university’ for kids in East London which wants to expand nationally has battled its way through to the final stage of this year’s National Lottery awards. Now Tower Hamlets Summer University is going all out for votes after being shortlisted for the search to find Britain’s favourite Lottery projects
A SUMMER 'university' for kids in East London which wants to expand nationally has battled its way through to the final stage of this year's National Lottery awards.
Now Tower Hamlets Summer University is going all out for votes after being shortlisted in the 'best education project' category for the annual search to find the Britain's favourite Lottery-funded projects.
All it has to do now is beat two other finalists in its category to win the title of the UK's favourite project and collect �2,000.
The Summer University's chief Sarah Davies said: "This award would help us expand nationally and enable us to reach thousands more young people across the country."
It offers a year-round programme of free educational and vocational courses in London to youngsters from 11 to 25.
- 1 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 2 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 3 Update: Woman, 56, missing in Tower Hamlets found
- 4 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 5 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 6 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
- 7 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 8 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 9 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 10 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
Those signing up can take part in anything from music to sport, from IT classes to producing their own magazine or film.
The awards are supported by television presenter Jackie Brambles who said: "Tower Hamlets Summer University is an amazing group doing great work in the community. Every vote makes a difference."
Winners of the Lottery's seven categories are revealed in BBC1's Saturday night National Lottery Big 7 show on a TV near you on September 5.
Public voting starts 9am today (Monday) and ends midday on Friday, August 14. The public can vote for Tower Hamlets Summer University by calling 0844-6869111 or click here online.