Supermarket chains spark off East End grocery’ war
THE supermarket giants have squared up for a groceries war’ in London’s East End with the latest store opening this-morning and another planned next week. A new Tesco opened on the site of a former petrol station in Bethnal Green a month after Sainsbury’s unveiled its newest branch half-a-mile away
THE supermarket giants have squared up for a groceries war’ in London’s East End with the latest store opening this-morning (Wednesday) and another planned next week.
A new Tesco Express’ opened on the site of a former Total petrol station in Hackney Road in Bethnal Green with a cheque presentation for �500 to Oxford House community centre.
The development on the corner where the garage used to be includes a five-storey block of flats.
The ground floor supermarket employing a staff of 12 is aimed at catching the commuter market as well as neighbourhood family shoppers, opening daily from 6am to 11pm.
You may also want to watch:
It started trading less than a month after Sainsbury’s unveiled its newest Local’ branch half-a-mile away in Cambridge Heath Road, next to Bethnal Green Underground station—also aimed at commuters as well as neighbourhood shoppers.
Both chains already run larger stores in the area, in Bethnal Green Road round the corner and at the beginning of Cambridge Heath Road.
- 1 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 2 Leyton Orient reportedly down to final three candidates
- 3 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 4 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 5 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 6 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 7 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 8 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 9 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 10 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
But Tesco is stepping up the war opening its second Express’ branch in a week, at Mansell Street in Whitechapel next Wednesday (Nov 25).