Supermarket chains spark off East End grocery’ war
THE supermarket giants have squared up for a groceries war’ in London’s East End with the latest store opening this-morning and another planned next week. A new Tesco opened on the site of a former petrol station in Bethnal Green a month after Sainsbury’s unveiled its newest branch half-a-mile away
THE supermarket giants have squared up for a groceries war’ in London’s East End with the latest store opening this-morning (Wednesday) and another planned next week.
A new Tesco Express’ opened on the site of a former Total petrol station in Hackney Road in Bethnal Green with a cheque presentation for �500 to Oxford House community centre.
The development on the corner where the garage used to be includes a five-storey block of flats.
The ground floor supermarket employing a staff of 12 is aimed at catching the commuter market as well as neighbourhood family shoppers, opening daily from 6am to 11pm.
You may also want to watch:
It started trading less than a month after Sainsbury’s unveiled its newest Local’ branch half-a-mile away in Cambridge Heath Road, next to Bethnal Green Underground station—also aimed at commuters as well as neighbourhood shoppers.
Both chains already run larger stores in the area, in Bethnal Green Road round the corner and at the beginning of Cambridge Heath Road.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 6 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 7 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 8 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 9 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 10 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
But Tesco is stepping up the war opening its second Express’ branch in a week, at Mansell Street in Whitechapel next Wednesday (Nov 25).