Supermarket chains spark off East End grocery’ war
THE supermarket giants have squared up for a groceries war’ in London’s East End with the latest store opening this-morning and another planned next week. A new Tesco opened on the site of a former petrol station in Bethnal Green a month after Sainsbury’s unveiled its newest branch half-a-mile away
THE supermarket giants have squared up for a groceries war’ in London’s East End with the latest store opening this-morning (Wednesday) and another planned next week.
A new Tesco Express’ opened on the site of a former Total petrol station in Hackney Road in Bethnal Green with a cheque presentation for �500 to Oxford House community centre.
The development on the corner where the garage used to be includes a five-storey block of flats.
The ground floor supermarket employing a staff of 12 is aimed at catching the commuter market as well as neighbourhood family shoppers, opening daily from 6am to 11pm.
You may also want to watch:
It started trading less than a month after Sainsbury’s unveiled its newest Local’ branch half-a-mile away in Cambridge Heath Road, next to Bethnal Green Underground station—also aimed at commuters as well as neighbourhood shoppers.
Both chains already run larger stores in the area, in Bethnal Green Road round the corner and at the beginning of Cambridge Heath Road.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 10 'Set deadline to remove cladding,' Tower Hamlets mayor urges
But Tesco is stepping up the war opening its second Express’ branch in a week, at Mansell Street in Whitechapel next Wednesday (Nov 25).