Supermarket chains spark off East End grocery’ war
THE supermarket giants have squared up for a groceries war’ in London’s East End with the latest store opening this-morning and another planned next week. A new Tesco opened on the site of a former petrol station in Bethnal Green a month after Sainsbury’s unveiled its newest branch half-a-mile away
THE supermarket giants have squared up for a groceries war’ in London’s East End with the latest store opening this-morning (Wednesday) and another planned next week.
A new Tesco Express’ opened on the site of a former Total petrol station in Hackney Road in Bethnal Green with a cheque presentation for �500 to Oxford House community centre.
The development on the corner where the garage used to be includes a five-storey block of flats.
The ground floor supermarket employing a staff of 12 is aimed at catching the commuter market as well as neighbourhood family shoppers, opening daily from 6am to 11pm.
It started trading less than a month after Sainsbury’s unveiled its newest Local’ branch half-a-mile away in Cambridge Heath Road, next to Bethnal Green Underground station—also aimed at commuters as well as neighbourhood shoppers.
Both chains already run larger stores in the area, in Bethnal Green Road round the corner and at the beginning of Cambridge Heath Road.
- 1 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 2 Woman treated at scene as 40 firefighters called to Bow tower block
- 3 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 4 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 5 Census 2021 indicates baby boom in one east London borough
- 6 Latest data shows Covid admissions rising again at east London hospitals
- 7 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 8 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 V&A launches festival to celebrate 150 years in Bethnal Green
- 10 Council rapped by ombudsman after not following safeguarding procedures
But Tesco is stepping up the war opening its second Express’ branch in a week, at Mansell Street in Whitechapel next Wednesday (Nov 25).