Suspicious blaze guts premises next to squatters’ social centre
A SUSPICIOUS blaze during the night has badly damaged a terraced house next to a social centre in London’s East End run by squatters. The property next to Whitechapel’s Rampart social centre was damaged by flames shooting out of the windows on all three floors
A SUSPICIOUS blaze during the night has badly damaged a terraced house next to a social centre in London’s East End run by squatters.
The property adjoining Whitechapel’s Rampart social centre was damaged as flames shot out of the windows on all three floors.
It was the second suspicious fire at the premises in six months.
The squatters running the centre in Rampart Street have been fighting attempts for 18 months through the courts to get them out.
You may also want to watch:
The three-storey adjacent property caught light at midnight—but no-one was inside at the time.
Up to 40 firefighters from all over East London were brought in to tackle the blaze which caused extensive damage.
- 1 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 2 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 3 Docklands man pleaded guilty to firearms offences
- 4 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 5 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 6 Working classes 'being pushed out by East End's gentrification'
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 10 Police search park in Poplar after report of stabbing
Crews in breathing apparatus searched the premises, but found no-one. Fire investigators were later sifting through the damage to trace the cause.