Suspicious blaze guts premises next to squatters’ social centre
A SUSPICIOUS blaze during the night has badly damaged a terraced house next to a social centre in London’s East End run by squatters. The property next to Whitechapel’s Rampart social centre was damaged by flames shooting out of the windows on all three floors
A SUSPICIOUS blaze during the night has badly damaged a terraced house next to a social centre in London’s East End run by squatters.
The property adjoining Whitechapel’s Rampart social centre was damaged as flames shot out of the windows on all three floors.
It was the second suspicious fire at the premises in six months.
The squatters running the centre in Rampart Street have been fighting attempts for 18 months through the courts to get them out.
The three-storey adjacent property caught light at midnight—but no-one was inside at the time.
Up to 40 firefighters from all over East London were brought in to tackle the blaze which caused extensive damage.
- 1 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 2 Update: Woman, 56, missing in Tower Hamlets found
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 5 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 6 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 9 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 10 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
Crews in breathing apparatus searched the premises, but found no-one. Fire investigators were later sifting through the damage to trace the cause.