Suspicious blaze guts premises next to squatters’ social centre
A SUSPICIOUS blaze during the night has badly damaged a terraced house next to a social centre in London’s East End run by squatters. The property next to Whitechapel’s Rampart social centre was damaged by flames shooting out of the windows on all three floors
A SUSPICIOUS blaze during the night has badly damaged a terraced house next to a social centre in London’s East End run by squatters.
The property adjoining Whitechapel’s Rampart social centre was damaged as flames shot out of the windows on all three floors.
It was the second suspicious fire at the premises in six months.
The squatters running the centre in Rampart Street have been fighting attempts for 18 months through the courts to get them out.
You may also want to watch:
The three-storey adjacent property caught light at midnight—but no-one was inside at the time.
Up to 40 firefighters from all over East London were brought in to tackle the blaze which caused extensive damage.
- 1 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 6 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 9 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 10 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
Crews in breathing apparatus searched the premises, but found no-one. Fire investigators were later sifting through the damage to trace the cause.