Suspicious blaze guts premises next to squatters’ social centre
A SUSPICIOUS blaze during the night has badly damaged a terraced house next to a social centre in London’s East End run by squatters. The property next to Whitechapel’s Rampart social centre was damaged by flames shooting out of the windows on all three floors
A SUSPICIOUS blaze during the night has badly damaged a terraced house next to a social centre in London’s East End run by squatters.
The property adjoining Whitechapel’s Rampart social centre was damaged as flames shot out of the windows on all three floors.
It was the second suspicious fire at the premises in six months.
The squatters running the centre in Rampart Street have been fighting attempts for 18 months through the courts to get them out.
You may also want to watch:
The three-storey adjacent property caught light at midnight—but no-one was inside at the time.
Up to 40 firefighters from all over East London were brought in to tackle the blaze which caused extensive damage.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 3 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 4 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 5 £18,000 awarded to Bethnal Green church to bring loo up to scratch
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 Lock-up garage space in Spitalfields used for social housing
- 8 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets
- 9 Volunteers thanked for running East End food bank for 70 weeks
- 10 Volunteers patrol streets after Isle of Dogs fatal stabbing
Crews in breathing apparatus searched the premises, but found no-one. Fire investigators were later sifting through the damage to trace the cause.