Swan found dead in Victoria Park lake
A SWAN has been found dead floating on the lake at East London’s Victoria Park today (Wednesday). A full investigation is now under way after the adult bird was taken away by park rangers
A SWAN has been found dead floating on the lake at East London’s Victoria Park.
A full investigation is now under way after the adult bird was taken away by park rangers.
Experts from the Swan Sanctuary are examining another adult bird and cygnet at the lake which has been covered with green weed.
You may also want to watch:
The bird was spotted by June Beckett walking her dog.
She told the East London Advertiser: “There’s a problem with oxygenation in the lake.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 6 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
I reported it and the Swan Sanctuary asked me to keep an eye on the lake.
“But I was shocked when I found this beautiful swan dead in the water.”
The water could harbour the toxic avian botulism, she believes, which might have paralysed the swan so it was unable to fly out of danger.
Angler John Johnson helped bring the swan out of the lake.
“The water’s disgusting,” he said. “They could have cleaned this lake up a long time ago.”
Tower Hamlets council said today the water quality “has been found to be a good.”
The large fountain in the lake is inspected each year to ensure there is as much water movement as possible. The council has put an extra 30 bales of barley straw into the water to deter algae and blanket weed forming.