Swan Housing didn’t show up to hear tenants’ concerns
Dear Ed, I ARRANGED an open public meeting at the Town Hall for residents of Exmouth Estate to air the problems with Swan Housing Association. I wanted to hold the meeting in the estate itself, but was told the community hall was “booked.” The hall was not in use on Thursday as it was locked up
I ARRANGED an open public meeting last Thursday (July 16) at the Town Hall for all residents of Exmouth Estate in Stepney, as the local ward representative on Tower Hamlets Council, to air the problems and concerns they are having with their landlord, Swan Housing Association.
I wanted to hold the meeting in the estate itself, but when I requested the community hall, was told it was “booked.”
I can confirm the hall was not in use on Thursday as it was locked up. I checked this myself.
I have also seen a leaflet which was sent to residents saying not to attend the public meeting as it was not authorised by the Swan Housing or the residents’ housing board!
I don’t need anyone’s permission to arrange a meeting of residents I represent on Tower Hamlets council.
- 1 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 2 Update: Woman, 56, missing in Tower Hamlets found
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 5 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
- 6 How many Covid patients are there in east London hospitals this week?
- 7 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 8 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
Those who attended the meeting were, like me, disappointed that Swan Housing did not send a representative. I was even more disappointed that the chair of the residents’ board did not feel this meeting was importent enough for him to attend.
Swan Housing was consulted before the well-publicised meeting and was invited well in advance.
I must warn all landlords who fail to listen or deal with the problems residents face that I, for one, will not welcome them in Tower Hamlets.
Cllr Oliur Rahman
St Dunstan’s and Stepney Green ward
Lead Member for Employment
Tower Hamlets Council
Town Hall, Blackwall