Swan Housing didn’t show up to hear tenants’ concerns
Dear Ed, I ARRANGED an open public meeting at the Town Hall for residents of Exmouth Estate to air the problems with Swan Housing Association. I wanted to hold the meeting in the estate itself, but was told the community hall was “booked.” The hall was not in use on Thursday as it was locked up
I ARRANGED an open public meeting last Thursday (July 16) at the Town Hall for all residents of Exmouth Estate in Stepney, as the local ward representative on Tower Hamlets Council, to air the problems and concerns they are having with their landlord, Swan Housing Association.
I wanted to hold the meeting in the estate itself, but when I requested the community hall, was told it was “booked.”
I can confirm the hall was not in use on Thursday as it was locked up. I checked this myself.
You may also want to watch:
I have also seen a leaflet which was sent to residents saying not to attend the public meeting as it was not authorised by the Swan Housing or the residents’ housing board!
I don’t need anyone’s permission to arrange a meeting of residents I represent on Tower Hamlets council.
- 1 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 5 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 6 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 Leyton Orient searching for a new manager as they bid farewell to McAnuff
Those who attended the meeting were, like me, disappointed that Swan Housing did not send a representative. I was even more disappointed that the chair of the residents’ board did not feel this meeting was importent enough for him to attend.
Swan Housing was consulted before the well-publicised meeting and was invited well in advance.
I must warn all landlords who fail to listen or deal with the problems residents face that I, for one, will not welcome them in Tower Hamlets.
Cllr Oliur Rahman
St Dunstan’s and Stepney Green ward
Lead Member for Employment
Tower Hamlets Council
Town Hall, Blackwall