Swan Housing didn’t show up to hear tenants’ concerns
Dear Ed, I ARRANGED an open public meeting at the Town Hall for residents of Exmouth Estate to air the problems with Swan Housing Association. I wanted to hold the meeting in the estate itself, but was told the community hall was “booked.” The hall was not in use on Thursday as it was locked up
I ARRANGED an open public meeting last Thursday (July 16) at the Town Hall for all residents of Exmouth Estate in Stepney, as the local ward representative on Tower Hamlets Council, to air the problems and concerns they are having with their landlord, Swan Housing Association.
I wanted to hold the meeting in the estate itself, but when I requested the community hall, was told it was “booked.”
I can confirm the hall was not in use on Thursday as it was locked up. I checked this myself.
You may also want to watch:
I have also seen a leaflet which was sent to residents saying not to attend the public meeting as it was not authorised by the Swan Housing or the residents’ housing board!
I don’t need anyone’s permission to arrange a meeting of residents I represent on Tower Hamlets council.
- 1 Man found stabbed on board night bus
- 2 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 3 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 4 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 5 Witness appeal continues a month after youth stabbed in Shadwell
- 6 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 7 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 8 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 Rabina Khan: 'We need powers to hold housing associations accountable'
Those who attended the meeting were, like me, disappointed that Swan Housing did not send a representative. I was even more disappointed that the chair of the residents’ board did not feel this meeting was importent enough for him to attend.
Swan Housing was consulted before the well-publicised meeting and was invited well in advance.
I must warn all landlords who fail to listen or deal with the problems residents face that I, for one, will not welcome them in Tower Hamlets.
Cllr Oliur Rahman
St Dunstan’s and Stepney Green ward
Lead Member for Employment
Tower Hamlets Council
Town Hall, Blackwall