Swan Housing didn’t show up to hear tenants’ concerns
Dear Ed, I ARRANGED an open public meeting at the Town Hall for residents of Exmouth Estate to air the problems with Swan Housing Association. I wanted to hold the meeting in the estate itself, but was told the community hall was “booked.” The hall was not in use on Thursday as it was locked up
I ARRANGED an open public meeting last Thursday (July 16) at the Town Hall for all residents of Exmouth Estate in Stepney, as the local ward representative on Tower Hamlets Council, to air the problems and concerns they are having with their landlord, Swan Housing Association.
I wanted to hold the meeting in the estate itself, but when I requested the community hall, was told it was “booked.”
I can confirm the hall was not in use on Thursday as it was locked up. I checked this myself.
You may also want to watch:
I have also seen a leaflet which was sent to residents saying not to attend the public meeting as it was not authorised by the Swan Housing or the residents’ housing board!
I don’t need anyone’s permission to arrange a meeting of residents I represent on Tower Hamlets council.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 10 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
Those who attended the meeting were, like me, disappointed that Swan Housing did not send a representative. I was even more disappointed that the chair of the residents’ board did not feel this meeting was importent enough for him to attend.
Swan Housing was consulted before the well-publicised meeting and was invited well in advance.
I must warn all landlords who fail to listen or deal with the problems residents face that I, for one, will not welcome them in Tower Hamlets.
Cllr Oliur Rahman
St Dunstan’s and Stepney Green ward
Lead Member for Employment
Tower Hamlets Council
Town Hall, Blackwall