Takeaway Battle of Cable St’ goes to Ombudsman
THE Local Government Ombudsman is being asked to investigate alleged maladministration by Tower Hamlets Council in East London over a planning application for a controversial takeaway next to a school. The plan for a Fried & Fabulous’ fast-food outlet was quashed by the High Court on Friday, having been passed three times by the authority
THE Local Government Ombudsman is being asked to investigate alleged maladministration by Tower Hamlets Council in East London over a planning application for a controversial takeaway next to a school.
The plan for a 'Fried & Fabulous' fast-food outlet next to Bishop Challenor Secondary was quashed by the High Court on Friday, having been passed three times by the authority's planning committee and twice overturned.
Furious families along Cable Street in Shadwell are contacting the Ombudsman after the council went ahead despite groundswell opposition from the community, police and even the authority's own planning officers.
Grandmother Linda Carney, who lives opposite the proposed takeaway and led the protest, said today: "The East End has the second highest obesity rate in country and I want my grandchildren to eat healthily. It's a temptation when they see someone with bag of chips and want some themselves."
You may also want to watch:
Friday's High Court action could cost council taxpayers as much as �250,000 in legal costs, including �80,000 costs to residents, in addition to a previous judicial review which also ruled against the plans.
Residents got an injunction on May 14 to stop shop owner Tera Miah carrying out a hurried conversion on the former grocery store, which the High Court rules on next Friday.
- 1 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 2 Leyton Orient reportedly down to final three candidates
- 3 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 4 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 5 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 6 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 7 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 8 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 9 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 10 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs