Talented photographer captures Docklands in new light
WHEN web designer Luke Agbaimoni started taking a few happy snaps during his lunch break, he never imagined it would lead to a two-year photography project documenting his beloved Docklands.
But that’s exactly how the talented photographer turned his hobby into an award-winning collection published on websites across the country, including The Guardian and BBC.
This week Luke gave us a sneak peek of his work and admitted it was a competition run by this newspaper last year which helped his career take off.
The Docklands Real View Competition asked readers to submit their best pictures of the DLR. Agbaimoni nabbed first place with his haunting snowy view near East India station, taking home an E-P1 & 14-42mm lens Olympus camera as top prize.
The 30-year-old has since used the state-of-the-art camera to capture the Docklands in a series of stunning images.
You may also want to watch:
He admits the area has a special place in his heart after growing up in Surrey Quays, adding: “The Docklands is stacked with history but in a way no one really lives or works there. It’s a special area.
“It’s really beautiful the architecture of the buildings – especially at night when the colours shine. There’s something quite nice about buildings and water working in unison. It’s undiscovered beauty.”
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 4 Trees now up for 'adoption' to help make East End greener
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 7 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 8 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 9 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 10 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
A communications and design graduate, Agbaimoni was never trained in photography but felt compelled to snap away in his lunch breaks while working as a freelance web designer at the Royal Victoria Docks.
His photos of Canary Wharf, Tower Bridge and the Olympic Park use long exposure and concentrate on architectural aspects usually at sunset and night.
He now hopes to exhibit his photos in the future.
To view the full collection or purchase prints, visit: www.docklandsphotography.com