Taste of the country for the East End when Brick Lane Farmers' Market opens
MEAT producers will be putting the bacon back in Bacon Street when a new farmers market opens next month. Fresh farm produce including plants, flowers, fruit juice, asparagus, early strawberries, organic and outdoor reared meat, seasonal game, butter, mi
MEAT producers will be putting the bacon back in Bacon Street when a new farmers' market opens next month.
Fresh farm produce including plants, flowers, fruit juice, asparagus, early strawberries, organic and outdoor reared meat, seasonal game, butter, milk, cheese, cream, hand made preserves, herbs, fish and shellfish, free range eggs and vegetables and salads will be sold at more than 20 stalls at the Brick Lane Farmers' Market at St Matthias Primary School every Sunday from 10am-2pm.
At least three farms will be bringing home the bacon from their rare breed, free range herds of pigs and market organisers say customers should look out for dry cure smoked streaky bacon from Muck and Magic organic farm in Suffolk to make their Sunday morning bacon sandwiches with.
Market organiser Mark Handley said: "We are really pleased to be helping the school raise some funds and to bring fresh food to the area.
You may also want to watch:
"I've loved shopping in the area since a teenager and now farm produce will be available to add to the more established offerings of flowers and bric-a-brac markets."
The farmers' market will only stock produce from farms within 100 miles of London and every one is visited before it is selected to join the market.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 8 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 9 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 10 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
Secondary producers, such as jam makers, must use a minimum of 50 per cent local ingredients and use free range eggs in cakes and other products.
The Brick Lane Farmers' Market opens on Sunday, June 6 at 10am.