Teaching East End kids to manage budgets adds up to enterprise
KIDS as young as five are being taught how to manage their budget in London’s deprived East End and even how to put a business plan together. Pupils have started a programme learning about money and business enterprise
CHILDREN as young as five are being taught how to manage their budget in London’s deprived East End and even how to put a business plan together.
Pupils at Poplar’s Clara Grant Primary have started a programme this week learning about money and business enterprise.
Volunteers from City Livery companies work with pupils aged five to 16 in a pilot scheme by Tower Hamlets Education Business Partnership which involved the Financial Services Authority and several East London schools.
The programme begins with a money game which gets youngsters working out how much their name was worth’, each letter of the alphabet being given a cash value.
More sessions are planned later in the year to include a visit to the Bank of England, tips from TV’s Mr Numbervator’ on how to make maths easy and what goes into a business plan.
- 1 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 2 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
- 3 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 4 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 5 Cycle paths joined up in Aldgate creates 'safe route' through east London
- 6 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 7 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 8 Whitechapel nun pens book of 12 stories to inspire selflessness in society
- 9 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 10 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
It follows a Government announcement last week that financial literacy is to be introduced into the National Curriculum next year for all children aged five to 16.
Tower Hamlets Education Business Partnership is already one jump ahead with several projects.